11

THE potent smell of formaldehyde seeped through Karson's nostrils, causing a wave of nausea to fill in her stomach, as she followed Scott into the morgue at Beacon Hills Memorial Hospital. Melissa called her son in a panic when she discovered Jackson was very much alive. As Scott pushes through the metal doors into the morgue area, Karson feels herself gag. Melissa is propped up in the corner of the room with a body bag unzipped halfway to reveal Jackson. A very gel-coated Jackson. 

Slick, clear liquid has cocooned around Jackson's upper torso with his arms placed in an 'X'. Issac rests his palms on the table near Jackson's head to get a better look. Melissa is visibly uncomfortable about what is happening, while Scott is at a loss for an explanation. 

"What's happening to him?" Karson asks, arms folded across her chest as her eyebrows furrow at the sight of Jackson. 

"I thought you were gonna tell me! Is it bad?" Melissa replies to her, hands on her hips as she glances at Karson.

"It doesn't look good..." Issac remarks. As if on cue, Jackson's body begins to convulse a couple of times. 

"Whoa!" Scott and Issac shout out, slowly backing away from their friend's body as Melissa folds a fist over her mouth with her hands. 

"Uh, Mom, could you zip it up, please?" Scott asks Melissa, who drops her hands with a loud sigh. 

"Okay. Okay, okay." Melissa mutters, shaking out her hands before latching onto the body bag zipper to pull it up. "Okay, here we go..." 

However, the zipper gets stuck right below Jackson's chin, causing Melissa to grip tighter to the zipper and pull it up harder. Dark fangs protrude from Jackson's mouth as he hisses at her, though still unconscious, making Melissa retract her hands. 

"Mom, zip!" 

"Okay, okay." Melissa anxiously says, returning her grip on the zipper as she begins to pull it up over Jackson's head. 

"Zip! Zip, Mom! Zip! Zip!"  

"Okay, okay." Once Melissa completely zips up, a sigh of relief escapes the lips of the teenagers. 

Karson runs her hands through her hair in utter frustration about what is happening to Jackson. She is glad that he seems to still be alive, however, it doesn't appear that Jackson is Jackson anymore. Which worries Karson about how they are gonna be able to save him. 

Her phone buzzes in her pocket and she reaches to see Derek's name flash across the screen. 

"Hey. Did you find anything?" 

"Negative. Peter is still looking. What is going on with Jackson?" Derek asks through the phone. Karson places her hand on her palm to press the speaker button so that the others can listen in as well. 

"I think he's in some kind of transparent casing made from the venom coming out of his claws..." Scott says.

"That sounds sufficiently terrifying." Peter voices.