The Uninvited

Devika pinned the veil to Surohi's bun. Surohi blushed looking at her own reflection in the mirror. It was her wedding after all. They heard a knock at the door to which a maid replied.

"The wedding has been cancelled by the order of Maharaja." The woman at the door announced panting.

Surohi gasped and jerked away with a jolt.

Devika was shocked herself." But why? " She asked.

" Maharani, the temple near the river had been flooded by the water and the marbles of the temple have broken because a tree fell on it." the woman replied.

"But can't they decide another venue for the wedding? why only that temple?" She shouted to no one in particular.

An old maid came and answered. "Rani, that's the temple where most weddings take place. It is very sacred as it stands beside the holy water. Moreover, destruction of temple is a bad omen, so the wedding can't take place today. It would be bad for the couple." She bowed before the queen.

Devika wide eyed looked at mum Surohi who was in trauma and a tear slipped from her eyes.

I am cursed. I am the cause.

********

"Durgeshwari, see now, do you think this cursed woman will let anything good happen in this kingdom? " Ambika shouted at her co-wife while eating a paan .

Durgeshwari too thought about it, the heaven is enraged at the coming of a cursed princess to the sacred land.

" Look Durgeshwari, if you want a happy life for your son, get rid of that woman." And with a thud she closed the paan box.

"But Ambika devi, Ashwini wanted her, what will happen to him? " Helpless Durgeshwari asked the Supreme Queen.

"He is a king he will forget her soon and there are many other princesses in front of whom Devika is nothing." She jerked her hand.

"But even if she goes away, Ashwini will find her." Durgeshwari argued with a feared tone.

" Yes, he can find her anywhere ....on earth" Ambika said with a sly smile.

Durgeshwari analyzed her statement and then blood rushed from her face when she deciphered the meaning.

************

For the next few days, Surohi didn't came out of her chamber while Amrish tried to approach her and keep her spirits high.

Devika cried in her room; Ashwini distanced himself from her. She thought he was scared of her but in reality, he was t talking to the priests of the kingdom, doing surveys and questioning spies about the causes, he wanted a solution to the curse and talking to the courtiers and other people related to it...seemed a good way to start.

The day arrived when his elder half-brother Surya arrived.

Ambika devi was in tears she hugged him to her heart after he touched her feet.

" Maa., you never answered. "He scowled.

"You will soon get the answers, my child." She patted his hair.