Chapter 1

I sit in the passenger's seat of my grandmothers pearl white car, with my forehead pressed against the cold glass staring at the raindrops racing down. In my head i make bets on which one will get to the bottom first.

"Angelicia, are you even listening to me?" My grandmother sighs with distaste

I hum in response to show she has my attention.

"As I was saying, you are going to love it here. The Good legacy runs deep within this Academy, so I expect the best from you. We are powerful witches, so I believe you have the potential to be great... Good even."

I see her glance over to me through the window, a twinkle in her eyes showing she is proud of herself for the play on words. I inwardly groan, desperately wanting to be out of this car and away from her. A bumpy change within the road catches my attention. We are finally here, Nevermore Academy.

My grandmother and I are guided to an office with a plaque on the wall reading Principal Larissa Weems. She sounds two sharp knocks on the door and a "come in" shortly follows. As we make our way into the office, I can't help to glance around. A dark tone is set with the red coloring and the occasional dead animal used as a trophy.

"Hello Mrs. Good, ah and this must be Angelicia Good." Who I am assuming to be Principal Weems says.

My grandmother is quick to reply, "No need to be so formal, you can call me Clara."

My assumptions are proven correct as she then introduces herself, "My apologies Clara; Angelicia, I am Principal Weems. I attended Nevermore with your mother, deep remorse for your loss, but if you are anything like your mother you will not have any trouble fitting in and being one of Nevermore's most powerful witches!"

I hum in response, not in the mood to spark conversation as she glides over my parents' death.

"Usually Nevermore doesn't accept student's midterm but considering your perfect grades and family's history with the school the Board and I have made an exception for you and one other student." Principle Weems announces.

My grandmother smiles while glaring at me with cold eyes, giving a look that says you better say thank you.

As my grandmother wishes "Thank you graciously for this opportunity Principal Weems." I say politely.

"You will be staying in Ophelia Hall, along with two other girls. You can go unpack and meet Ms. Sinclair and you will meet Ms. Addams once she arrives." Weems says as I choose to ignore the slight distaste, she held for the Addams name. I wonder what that is about.