Chapter 5

I head down the hallway towards my room and hear a voice call out for me "Angelica! Wait up!" 

I turn my head and see Enid jogging towards me, so I slow down so she can catch up.

"Hey, what's up?" I ask.

"Don't you dare think I forgot about showing you how to do a TikTok! Come on!" She grabs my arm and pulls me the rest of the way to our door while I laugh. Oh gosh, this is going to be interesting. 

She opens the door and we both walk in and am meet with Wednesday finishing taking down the colorful window vinyl.

"What the hell did you do to my room?" Questions furiously. 

"Dividing our room equally. It looks like a rainbow vomited on your side." Wednesday states.

"Angelica..."

"Silence would be appreciated. This is my writing time." Wednesday cuts off Enid.

I walk to my corner of the room and sit on the rug. I am glad Wednesday took the vinyl down on our ride of the room, my plants wouldn't have thrived with no direct sunlight.

"Your writing time?" Enid questions.

Wednesday then proceeds to explain, "I devote an hour a day to my novel. Perhaps if you did the same, your vlog might be coherent. I've read serial killer diaries with better punctuation."

"I write in my voice. It's my truth. It's what my followers love." Enid states.

"I read it, and I loved how you express yourself in your writing." I let Enid know.

"Your followers are clearly imbeciles. They respond to your stories with insipid little pictures." Wednesday shoots back.

I scoff, I personally didn't respond in emojis, but I am not an imbecile for enjoying her writing.

"Uh, you mean emojis? It's how people express their feelings. I realize that's a foreign concept to you." Enid explains to Wednesday.

Wednesday starts to walk to her typewriter and says, "When I look at you, the following emojis come to mind. Rope, shovel, hole. By the way, there are two D's in Addams. If you're going to gossip about me, at least spell my name correctly."

Enid chooses to ignore her and turns on some pop music. She runs up to me and grabs my hand to pull me up to dance. 

I giggle at Enid singing the words and try to match her movements.

"Turn that off."

We don't pay Wednesday any attention.

"This is your final warning." She gets up and storms over to us.

Enid steps in front of me and pulls her claws out while growling at Wednesday, "Don't mess with me. This kitty's got claws, and I'm not afraid to use them."

The door opens and I shoot my head in that direction. A red head lady appears. "Good evening, girls. Oh, sorry about the mud. I wanted to make sure Wednesday and Angelica was settling in. Is this a bad time?"

We stare at her in response.

"I'm Ms. Thornhill, your dorm mom. Apologies, I wasn't here to greet you girls when you arrived. I trust Enid has given you the old Nevermore welcome."

"She's been smothering me with hospitality. I hope to return the favor. In her sleep." Wednesday answers. 

Both Enid and I looks at her wearily.

"Well, here's a little gift from my conservatory. I try to match the right flower to each of my girls. When I read each of your personal statements in your applications, I immediately though of these." Ms. Thornhill gives Wednesday a black dahlia plant and I a white lily.

Wednesday takes a look at it and stated, "The black dahlia."

"Oh, you know it?" Thornhill asks delighted.

"Of course. It's named after my favorite unsolved murder. Thank you." Wednesday thanks her.

Thornhill then looks over to me. 

"A white lily. Represents purity, commitment, and rebirth. Typically, chosen as a sympathy flower." I state. I hate lilies. 

Awkwardly Thornhill says, "Okey-dokey. Before I leave, I want to go over a few house rules. Lights off at 10:00, no loud music, and no boys, ever."

"What's the story about going into the local town?" Wednesday questions her.

"Passes to Jericho are a privilege, not a right. It's a brisk 25- minute walk, or there's a shuttle on the weekends. The locals are a tad bit wary about Nevermore, so please don't go making any waves, or perpetuating any stereotypes." she says and the looks towards Enid and Wednesday.

"That mean's keep your claws to yourself, and no smothering people in their sleep. Are we clear?" Thornhill asks.

Once again, we stare at her in response.

"Great talk." and with that she leaves.

I look down to the lily smiling and while watching it wither away. A verity of saprobe mushrooms grows in its place.

"Perfect." I respond and place my newly potted mushrooms on the floor next to my bed in the darkest area. 

I can already tell Thornhill will not be my favorite person here.