Chapter 3

"Nevermore was founded in 1791 to educate people like us. Outcast, freaks, monsters, fill your favorite marginalized group here." Enid starts our tour.

"You can save the sanitized sales pitch. I don't plan on staying long." Wednesday says before Enid could continue. 

"Why not?" I hum in response. For being a school, it doesn't seem that bad.

"This was my parents' idea. Oh look, there's my mother smirking at me. They've been looking for any excuse to send me here. It's all a part of their nefarious, yet completely obvious plan." Wednesday rants while glaring daggers at a group picture with her mother in it. I glance at the picture and see my mother next to hers with the biggest smile ever. 

"What plan?" Edin asks confused.

"To turn me into a version of themselves." She grimaces.

"In that case, perhaps you can clear something up. Rumor's been swirling around that you killed a kid at your old school, and your parents pulled strings to get you off." Edin says. 

Wait she what?

"Actually, it was two kids, but who's counting." Wednesday responses.

"Okay, not a people person either." I giggle a tad. Makes sense, if you don't like hug's good chance you don't like people. They kind of go hand in hand.

As soon as we reach an opening, Enid announces "Welcome to the quad."

"It's a pentagon." Wednesday is quick to correct.

"True." I can't disagree, she is right.

"The whole snarky goth girl thing might have worked at normie school, but here things are different." Enid says, finally standing up against Wednesday's attitude.

We move on and Enid is fast to continue with the tour "Let me give you a wiki on Nevermore's social scene."

"I'm not interested in participating in tribal adolescent cliches." Wednesday states.

"Well, then use it to fill your obviously bottomless pit of disdain. There are many flavors of outcasts here, but the four main cliques are fangs, furs, stoners, and scales." Enid explains.

"Those are the fangs." Enid points towards a table of students wearing sunglasses and drinking red liquid from cups, blood I suppose. 

"Vampires?" I question and am confirmed with a nod. 

"Some of them have literally been here for decades. That bunch of knuckleheads are furs, AKA werewolves." Enid continues as they start howling.

"Full moons get pretty loud around here. That's when the furs wolf out. I suggest you pick up noise-cancelling headphones." She informs us.

"I assume scales are sirens?" Wednesday says directing to the group by the fountain. Their scales showing as they run their hand in the water.

"You catch on quick. That girl, Bianca Barclay, is the closest thing Nevermore has to royalty. Although her crowns been slipping lately. She used to date our resident tortured artist, Xavier Thorpe, but they broke up at the beginning of the semester. Reason unknown." Xavier glances over as if he had known Enid was talking about him. His eyes quickly catch mine; I twist my hand making the leaves dance around him causing a small smile to appear on his face.

"Fascinating." Wednesday's dull tone breaks my concertation making the leaves fall.

"I know, right? My vlog is like the number one source for Nevermore gossip." Enid informs.

"Yo, Enid! You're not gonna believe the dirt I heard about your new roommates. Addams eats human flesh. Chowed down on that kid she murdered. Also, Good is like from this crazy powerful witch line and will witch out or something. You better watch you back." Some guy in a beanie warns Enid.

Enid steps out the way so he can see both Wednesday and I standing behind her.

"Quite the contrary. I actually fillet the bodies of my victims, then feed them to my menagerie of pets." Wednesday says with a matter-of-fact tone.

"I on the other hand do come from one, if not the most powerful bloodline of witches... but I have yet to reach my full potential." I tell him, a little embarrassed.

"Ajax these are my new roommates, Wednesday and Angelica." Enid introduces.

"Whoa! You're in black and white. Like a living Instagram filter." He say's towards Wednesday causing me to hold back a laugh. I try to cover it with a cough but fail miserably and am meet with a glare.

"Ignore him. Gorgons spend way too much time getting stoned. He's cute but clueless. You know it's a small school. There wasn't much online about you guys. You both should really get on Insta, Snapchat, and TikToK." Enid tries to convince. I am not big on social media, never really been a fan of sharing my life to strangers.

"I find social media to be soul-sucking void of meaningless affirmation." Wednesday states and then walks off.

Enid stares at me with puppy dog eye, "Fine! Only if you show me how!" I cave.

"Yes!" she squeals with excitement.

"Meet back in the dorm later and I'll show you!" She announces and leaves me standing here.

Time to explore, I guess.