Chapter One: Welcome to the Hellmouth

In every generation there is a Chosen One. She alone will stand against the vampires, the demons and the forces of darkness. She is the Slayer.

At Sunnydale High School, A fist punches through a windowpane of a classroom and reaches in to undo the clasp. A boy and a girl, sneaking into the school.

"Are you sure this is a good idea?" She asks.

The boy smiles. "It's a great idea, now come on." They crawl in and walk out of the classroom, continuing down the hallway.

"Do you go to school here?"

"I used to. On top of the gym it's so cool. You can see the whole town." He continues down the hall, but she stops him close to the intersection.

"I-I don't wanna go up there." She says.

He looks at her. "Aw, you can't wait, huh?"

"We're just gonna get in trouble."

"Yeah, you can count on it." He smirks before leaning in to kiss her but she draws a quick breath, startled and turns her head around to look down the hall.

"What was that?"

"What was what?"

"I heard a noise."

"It's nothing!"

She shakes her head. "Uh, uh, maybe it's something."

"Or maybe it's some thing." He teases.

She looks at him. "That's not funny."

He looks down the other hall. "Hellooooo!" His voice echoes. He turns back to the girl. "There's nobody here."

"Are you sure?" She looks away.

"Yes, I'm sure."

"Okay." She turns back to him, vamped out. She releases a growl before biting him. He grunts in pain as they sink to the floor.

Buffy tosses and turns in bed. She's having the nightmares, with visions of the Master's lair, the cemetery, the Master, of vampires and other demons, various events and artifacts. She wakes with a gasp.

"Buffy?" Joyce calls.

She sits up. "I'm up, Mom!" She yells.

"Don't wanna be late for your first day!"

Buffy sighs. "No." She mutters to herself. "Wouldn't want that."

Joyce pulls up to the school. "Okay!" She smiles. Buffy gets out. "Have a good time. I know you're gonna make friends right away, just think positive." She gives a thumbs up. Buffy looks through the open car door and gives her mother a quick nod. She turns to go and closes the door behind her. "And honey?" Buffy looks back at her. "Try not to get kicked out?"

"I promise."

"Okay." Joyce smiles.

Buffy faces the school and lets out a deep breath. Joyce drives off.

Xander bobs and weaves through the crowd on his skateboard. "'Scuse me, comin' through, pardon me, 'scuse me, whoa! 'Scuse me, not sure how to stop! Please move, whoa, 'scuse me..." He trails off as he sees Buffy. "Whoa." He breathes. He doesn't see the stair railing in front of him, too busy staring at the girl. He crashes into it and falls beneath it, grunting in pain. "God!" Willow and Trinity step over his legs. "I'm okay. I feel good." Willow looks down at him, smiling and pulling her hair behind her ear. Trinity rolls her eyes and shakes her head. Xander looks up and sees them. "Willow! You're so very much the person that I wanted to see!" He gets up.