Chapter 14

Avalon the eldest of the Aston daughters sat underneath her favorite tree her wavy amber colored hair blowing in the gentle breeze. She was tall for a girl and had a thin frame and pale skin. Her favorite tree grew on the several acres of land upon which Aston Manor stood. With her were her two sisters closest to her in age, Fae and Mavis. Fae was a short well fed girl with pixie cut brown hair that sat on her head in an unkempt manner. Mavis sat under the tree in a regal manner as if she was the queen very pose, prim and proper she had shoulder length auburn hair that she was twisting between her fingers. Like Avalon she was tall but not as tall and fair skinned as well though she had a pink tint that suggested she had gotten a little too much sun recently. Avalon was reading her favorite book "The Great Gatsby" when she was approached by Georgette.

"Hello sister," said Avalon, "what brings you here? Would you like to join us?"

"I was just on my way to my garden," explained Georgette.

"Your garden is very beautiful," said Fae.

"I agree," said Mavis.

"But I did have a question," replied Georgette.

"And what's that," asked Avalon smiling. "Who will be our next high priestess once grandmother is gone?"

"I don't know," said Avalon, "why do you ask me?"

"Because you're the oldest and strongest of us," said Georgette.

"I don't know if that's true," replied Avalon, "you've done things I could have never dreamed of."

"Yes like your bird," said Fae.

"None of us have done that!" told Mavis

"So, you think it could be me?" asked Georgette.

"I have no idea who it will be," said Avalon. "You will have to be able to pass the tests."

"Yes and those are grueling. Some witches die," said Fae.

"That's why you should only take them if you're certain," said Mavis.

"Yes, I've read about those," said Georgette. "What if I could do them now?"

"Then you'd be far superior to any of us and the youngest witch I know of to have ever done them," told Avalon.

"Well, I am very strong," said Georgette. "Your power is still greater than mine. But soon I will surpass even grandmother."

"I have no doubt," replied Avalon cheerfully.

"You love this tree, don't you?" asked Georgette.

"I do," replied Avalon, "I'd like to be buried by it."

"I love my garden," told Georgette, "especially my roses. They're my work of art."