Chapter 6: Meeting a Lost Soldier

Macaque sighed and smiled as Bai he ran off into her school yard, a large smile on her face. After hopping about across the city to find a good school for her, they finally found one near the pet store where Xῑng was found. The shadow monkey glanced at the store again and hummed in thought. It had been a few weeks since the kitten had joined the little crazy family, and so far she seemed to be really interested in the pillows Macaque kept for himself.

"Maybe I can get some toys for her . . ." He mumbled as he continued to stare. He remembered Qīng telling him something about how she needs toys instead of whatever she found at the library.

"Brother!" A booming voice interrupted his thoughts, and Macaque turned to see the red guardian running towards him. "There you are!" He had removed his usual uniform to a simple checkered collared shirt and khaki shorts. His bright red hair faded away into a dull ginger, much different from his twin.

Macaque smiled. "Hóngsè, you took your time." He looked up at the taller being and chuckled seeing a few sprinkles sitting in his beard. "I see you liked the cafe the others went to before. You've got a few sprinkles in your-" The shadow monkey pointed to his chin to help the red guardian.

Hóngsè followed his brother's movements and shook off the sweet bits once he found them. He glanced at the store where Macaque was looking, and smiled. "Did you want to go in? I have my wallet today!"

Macaque nodded and looked back at the shop. "Qīng has been asking for some time now so Xīng can leave his books alone, so we might as well." He grabbed Hóngsè's hand and walked towards the shop. "By the way, Bai he mentioned-"

"Oh, Mr. Macquack!" A familiar voice stopped the duo, and Macaque pursed his lips with fear. "I didn't think you'd still be here!"

Hóngsè looked around to see a large water demon approach them, waving happily while a blue cat sat on their shoulders. He raised an eyebrow at them, but waved back awkwardly. The red guardian glanced at Macaque and noticed how anxious he seemed.

"Are you alright? Should we ignore him?" He whispered to the shadow monkey. Macaque only shook his head and forced himself to look at Sandy.

He gave a shaky smile as the water demon approached them. "Hello there, Mr. Sandy. H-how have you been?"

Sandy smiled widely. "I've been good, thanks! How about you?" Mo jumped off his shoulder and went to rub against Macaque's legs. Unlike the big demon, Macaque felt much more comfortable with the cat. He crouched down and pet the blue feline, and gave it a small smile.

"Fine, thank you." He mumbled. The shadow monkey stood up and looked at the red guardian. "Um, this is my older brother! Hóngsè! Hóngsè, this is Sandy." Macaque smiled a bit and watched the two giants greet each other happily.

"You're a new friend of Macaque's?" Hóngsè smiled and shook Sandy's hand. "I'm glad to see he's meeting new people. He usually never talks to others."

Macaque tapped the other's arm before grabbing it and nudging his head towards the pet shop. "It's nice meeting you again, but ah, we're quite busy today, so perhaps I'll see you another time?" He didn't bother waiting for a response and entered the little shop.

Sandy watched with wide eyes, before shrugging and picking up Mo. "I'm sure he'll be fine. That big guy'll take care of him just fine. Now, to Pigsy's!"

Macaque let go of the red guardian once he heard the bell ring for the shop, and ran over to look at the little fish swimming about in the aquariums. Hóngsè smiled at his brother's curiosity and innocence and scanned through the isles instead, glancing over the different products reserved for felines and dogs.