Soulmates | 04

The  half ghoul ventured toward the alley where he smelled the scent of his  pursuer. He stuck to the sides and moved deeper in, not making a sound.

The ghoul must have smelled him near for a trash can lid rolled and  clattered to the ground some odd feet away. A shadow darted near the end  of the alley and out of sight.

Kaneki narrowed his eyes and started pursuing the ghoul. He was just  about to come up on him when three other ghouls suddenly jumped down  around him from above. His rinkaku kagune emerged around him as he  spiraled the four tentacles around him.

An ukaku ghoul came at him first, using his speed to surprise Kaneki  from the side and slice ribbons of crystals in his direction.

Kaneki dodged most of them but a few tore into his arm — which quickly  healed itself of the damage. The white-haired boy wrapped a tentacle  around one of the opposing ghouls' ankles and threw him against the hard  brick wall.

He hit the wall with a sickening smack! as two koukakus came at him  from different sides. One swiped for his chest while the other aimed for  anything below.

Kaneki quickly flipped sideways and out of the way to  avoid getting wounded. He then struck down one and watched the blood  coat the walls and ground.

The blood enticed his senses and he wanted to end this quickly so he could ​feast.​

The remaining ghoul slowed in his steps when the other was killed but  came at Kaneki anyway, sharpening his kagune to a point and making an  impaling strike towards Kaneki's chest.

Kaneki was just about to dodge when he suddenly backed into the one  ghoul he had been pursuing. He stiffened when his own scent flared out  and he shuddered. It was a scent that drew ghouls to him, a mechanism  designed to help him with feeding but since he didn't have any control  over it, it instead attracted the wrong kind of attention.

A tentacle whipped out and struck Kaneki from behind,  forcing him forward just as the koukaku ghoul descended upon him. But  instead of impaling him directly, the ghoul had miscalculated the hit and  slashed at his arm instead.

Some fair distance away Tsukiyama  felt something in his gut twist, and he looked in the direction Kaneki  had gone. Something seemed...off.

Kaneki yelped and tried to fend the two off and away from him with his  kagune. He held his bleeding arm, needing food substance to heal faster.  He couldn't eat with these two ghouls here and a tiny knot of  desperation bubbled up and out of his throat in the sound of a  chirp-like call. He was shocked by this sound, having never uttered it  before.

It was faint in his ears but Tsukiyama knew he heard  something, and whatever it was spurred him into action, igniting his  instincts and sending him into a quick sprint down the street. He wasn't  entirely sure what he heard but he had the feeling it had something to  do with Kaneki — and if something happened to Kaneki...

Tsukiyama's  gut twisted more. Kaneki's scent was coming to him stronger now,  leading him to an alleyway about less than a block away from where he  was. It was twinged with desperation and Tsukiyama's instincts roared  up, making his kakugan appear, as he came closer and closer.

The ghouls heard the sound and one barked out a laugh, circling around Kaneki like a predator fencing in prey.

"So the famous half-breed is just a weakling?" The one spoke harshly and Kaneki spurred into action against him, growling.

"Perhaps not as much as we think." Said the other once he saw the way Kaneki rose to defend himself.

The  street was still empty. Tsukiyama flicked his arm out, kagune tearing  forth from his shirt immediately, and twisted it around his limb to  create a sharpened blade. He got to the entrance and stalked inside.