Chapter 26

struct group_info init_groups = { .usag|

GFP_USER); NymOs

if (!group_info)

return prime;

.

..

... connection established

_:

_NymOs: request

.

..

...

[redacted]: welcome back, NymOs. long time no see :D

[redacted]: begin request

Of the four computer monitor screens that hung suspended upon the sprawling desk in Jake's apartment, only the bottom right screen was activated. It was completely black with no sign of any recognizable interface except for a single text window into which Jake began to type.

_NymOs: 0214P is attempting to intercept. will initiate transfer. requesting dead drop.

[redacted]: one moment

Releasing his hands from the keyboard, Jake sat back in his chair in silence. He kept his eyes fixed on the text box on the screen in front of him as he waited, his mind racing at a chaotic pace. As the thoughts and risks and probabilities swirled around in an electric storm in his head, his hands rested lightly at his sides and his breathing remained slow and steady.

He knew that in order to keep his thoughts running as efficiently and logically as possible, he needed to ensure that his sympathetic nervous system didn't hijack his brain by flooding his body with cortisol and adrenaline. He needed to keep his heartrate and breathing steady, and needed to actively work to maintain a relaxed posture. He did not have the luxury of allowing fear to build upon itself through its various physical manifestations. Four years of running had taught him this well.

In terms of a first order approximation of risk, Jake knew that a dead drop was fairly tame. Especially when taken in context of his many previous acts of covert intelligence espionage, this was one that he could do with his eyes closed. So why did it feel like a third order approximation? What was so different this time? It couldn't be because of her, he reasoned. If there ever was a third order approximation, it would have been when he'd had to go dark after the YouTube video, and he had already been in contact with her for some time at that point. So why was he now having to fight to control his physical stress response?

[redacted]: there has been no visible chatter that we can see. are you certain, NymOs?

Jake raised his hands back to the keyboard and began to type once more.

_NymOs: yes.

_NymOs: it was conveyed during a phone conversation with local law enforcement. there have been a multitude of ddos attack attempts during my absence. in all locations. i believe the information is correct.

[redacted]: request granted

[redacted]: we will do what we can, NymOs. but the time has perhaps arrived where a secure drop will become the only viable option

[redacted]: we will send the location data shortly. stand by

[redacted]: oh and NymOs?

_NymOs: yes?

[redacted]: we were all very relieved to see that the canary escaped the coal mine