Ch. 6 The Painter

Ryann jogged up to match my pace as I was walking along the path. I slowed down a little bit so she could catch up to me easier.

"Hey (Y/n), remember the V.I.P tickets that I mentioned earlier?" She asked. I nodded my head.

"Yeah, I was wondering when you got those. You didn't mention it when we were talking about buying tickets earlier." I said, brushing some loose hairs out of my face.

"Well.. That's the thing. I didn't buy them. I lied." Ryann said, smirking mischievously and making jazz hands. My eyes widened in shock.

"You lied?!" I whisper yelled. "We could get in trouble for that. That could make us pay a giant fee or something! Or worse kick us out!" I ranted, my voice increasing in volume with each word.

"It'll be fine (Y/n). I don't think the guy that we saw up front cares about his job very much. Here's just here to collect his paycheck. Plus I've got wayyy cooler stuff to tell you about." Ryann stated, emphasizing the word way by spreading her two hands apart like she was trying to show the size of a fish she caught.

"Like what?" I asked, tilting my head in curiosity.

"So Alex and me were in this weird library. It was pretty spooky. The books in there looked super old and cursed. They were all really dusty like they hadn't been touched in ages. Anyway, we found this old book that was written German I think. It had these super creepy drawing of some tall faceless monster in a suit with tentacles. It was super whack. Did you find anything scary or interesting upstairs (Y/n)?"

"Yeah, I found a bunch of unsettling articles about serial killers. I didn't get a chance to get a good look at at of them But the one I did get a good look at was super creepy. It had a mugshot photo and everything." I shuddered at the memory.

"What did they look like?" Ryann asked, her blue eyes wide with curiosity.

"One was named Jeffery Woods. He had really long black hair and super pale skin. His eyes were wide, like really wide.. and he had his really creepy smile on his face, not just an unsettling smile, but like a really.. really.. terrifying smile." I paused. "He cut a smile into his face. It looked like the Joker's smile but for real instead of just some clown makeup." I said, my voice becoming shaky. I could feel my heart pounding in my chest.

"That can't be real (Y/n).. It has to be photoshopped or a really good makeup job. I'm almost a hundred percent sure you can die from cutting your face open like that." Ryann said, noticing my panicked state. She did her best to comfort and reassure me with her words. Ryann placed a comforting hand on my shoulder.

"..You're right. They were probably just staged for the haunted house. I can't believe I got myself all worked up over it." I said with a sigh, running my hand through my (h/c) hair.

"Its okay, you were just excited, and I probably would've done the same thing." Ryann said reassuringly, smiling a me.

"Thanks Ry, I wouldn't know what to do without you." I said, giving her a quick hug. She reciprocated.

"I know, that's why I'm always here to comfort you, fix your clothes for you, give you ad-. " Ryann was interrupted by Brennan yelling.

"We're almost to the warehouse guys!" Brennan shouted. I looked away from Ryann and looked around. I realized most of the time that we had been walking I had been talking to her and looking at her face. I hadn't had the chance to take in my surrounding very well.

Oops. Oh well.

We were walking on a dirt path. A few feet away from the path on either side was a densely packed forest. I could recognize pine and maple trees from a distance by their leaves. Other than that I had no idea what other trees were in the forest. A faint fog covered the grass in the forest. I feared that something would emerge from the fog before we got to the warehouse. The sun was much lower in the sky than before. If we were outside again we would need our phone flashlights in order to see.