5

You blinked, Ayaka's words sinking in as she patiently watched you collect yourself.

"You want me to work for you?" You repeated, and she nodded, a sheepish smile gracing her face, "Why? I've given you no reason to trust me, and on top of that, I beat up your men." You were still a little wary of her. After all, she'd let you into her home so easily after an incident like that, so how could you not be suspicious?

"I know it sounds odd," she admitted with a sigh, "but we could use someone with a background like yours. Plus, you helped Atsuko escape, which makes me more confident that you're a good person." You scoffed. No one had ever called you that.

"Then what kind of work would I be doing?" You finally asked. If she wanted you specifically because of your background, it couldn't be anything good.

Ayaka drew in a breath, forming a response. Amidst the silence, you could hear shuffling behind the door across from you, proving that Thoma was still there listening in. Finally, the girl continued.

"A friend of mine was recently arrested by the Shogun's forces," she admitted finally, "And I need your help to break him out." Suddenly, you were reminded of the white-haired man you saw being taken into custody earlier, wondering if the two situations might be connected.

"I see." You leaned back on your hands. You should have expected something like this. She only wanted your help because she knew you were criminal, and assumed you'd been in prison before. You had, to be fair, but that didn't mean you were qualified to perform a rescue mission like this. "I would say I have no expertise in breaking someone out of prison, but that would be a lie." You admitted finally, "And what happens after he's out?"

"Thoma and I will handle that part," She replied with a smile, glad you hadn't completely rejected the offer yet, "We plan to send him on a supply ship out of Inazuma. You just need to free him from prison. Would you be willing to do that?"

You sighed, closing your eyes in contemplation. "What's in it for me?" You asked, "I'd add extra criminal charges on myself by doing this. Not to mention the risk of breaking someone out when I'm already wanted."

"We would pay you well, of course," she replied. You opened your eyes to the sight of a bag of mora being placed on the table, your attention effectively grasped. Still, you felt like it wouldn't be smart to agree to a deal like this. After all, what business did an ex-Nobushi have working for one of the biggest clans in Inazuma? Ayaka must have noticed your hesitation, because she continued. "You could also leave Inazuma with him, if you'd like. I'm sure there will be space for one more on the ship."

This really piqued your interest. You'd never seriously thought about leaving Inazuma before. Even when the Vision Hunt Decree was announced, you'd never seen it as an option for yourself. By then, you had already been keeping your electro vision a secret, worried the others would cause issues if you revealed it. It always just seemed easiest to keep it hidden and move on.

Now that you were being given a chance to actually leave, you weren't sure what to do. It was true that you had nothing left here anyway, but were there really any better opportunities in other nations?

"You don't have to give me an answer right away," Ayaka continued, "Please, take your time. Thoma can you show you to a room where you can stay while you decide." With that, she turned around and called for the blonde man. Almost immediately, he came back into the room, a bright smile on his face that further confirmed your suspicions that he had been listening in.

"I can do that," he exclaimed, coming over to you. You stood up, nodding at Ayaka.

"Thank you for your hospitality. I'll have an answer for you by this evening." With that, you followed the housekeeper out of the room, still feeling a little weird about being in an estate like this.