Chapter 27: Resignation

Hanji's POV

Levi held Zayne in his arms as they followed me into the station. In my hand was my resignation. I'm done with this place. All those memories will only be memories. I have a future with Levi and our son. I want to move on to the next phase of my life. We'll work at a different police station. Maybe we'll take day and night shifts to make sure that Zayne is always with one of us. No babysitters are needed.

Strutting into Erwin's office, I slammed my resignation on his desk with a smile on my face. "I quit."

"Hanji-."

"Two weeks, I know. I know you did your best to try to give me cases that I can solve without putting me in harm's way when I was nursing Zayne. You're not the problem, Erwin. It's my other co-workers. Either way, thank you for everything."

Erwin chuckles, taking the letter as he looks up at me. "I was expecting this letter sometime soon. But I hope for the best. Where will you be going?"

"Somewhere else. A new city, a new station. Somewhere that's not here."

Erwin nods his head, "Okay. Just let me know which station you'll be working at and I'll send a letter of recommendation. You're one of the best, Hanji,  and I want the best for you and your family. The same can't be said for Levi. After all, he did disappear. Now it seems he's back." Erwin points through the window, and I can see Levi with Zayne. "I don't know what happened when he was gone. It seems you're the only one that knows. I won't ask for details, Hanji, but I will keep my word. Whatever you need, I'll handle it."

"Thank you, Erwin."

"No, thank you. Enjoy your life with your family. I'll see you soon. Oh, send me a message about your new place- I'm thinking of sending you a postcard."

"You're not the type to send postcards, Erwin," I chuckle, walking out of his office, "You just want holiday cards from me."

"Of course, I do. Am I named an uncle to your son?"

"No."

"Damn."

I chuckle, turning back into his office. "Don't worry, I'll send holiday cards to you. Still living single in that apartment of yours?"

"Don't need a reminder that I'm single."

I walked out of the office toward my son and Levi. Levi was about to greet me when something slipped out of his hands. "Crap, Hanji, can you pick that up? Zayne's a bit heavy."

"Weren't you saying that Zayne's not that heavy? Such a liar, Levi." When I picked up the item, I chuckled when I felt the box with my fingers. I stood to my feet, looking down at Levi with a small smile. "Levi, when did-."

"Open it."

I was surprised at the beautiful ring he bought. I have no idea where or when he bought this. The first idea that came to mind was that he bought the ring when he was hunting for his uncle. But then again, when I was pregnant, he had many opportunities to buy the ring when I wasn't looking. 

"Hanji, will you marry me?" He repeated those words loudly and clearly. Since he had already proposed to me privately, I knew he was doing this to show off. Proving to my co-workers that he's back, and he'll stay with me until the end of time. Plus, the way he smirked at me as my co-workers gathered around me. He was putting on a show, and I was the star of it.

"I do," I say, matching his tone. "I'll marry you."

Levi kisses my lips, trying his best not to squeeze Zayne between us. No one clapped- except Erwin. No one else followed his lead. "I'm expecting a wedding invitation."

"I'll send one soon."

"I'll be looking forward to it, Hanji. Oh, and congrats."