𝙨𝙞𝙭

Pound The Alarm - Nicki Minaj
"What I got to do to show these girls that I own 'em?"

[⌖]

My alarm goes off at 5 am sharp. I get up quickly, put on the training uniform, and put my hair into a fishtail braid. I walk outside my room to see Raven walking out at the same time as me. I see Finnick and Annie talking at the table.

An Avox hands me a plate of food: eggs, bacon, and a bowl of fresh fruit. I walk over to the table with my plate of food and sit down.

"Good morning, Rhiannon and Raven. Today is your first day of training. I would just train like you always do. There's no point in hiding what your talents are, you're a career." I nod as I take a sip of water from my cup.

Raven and I walk into the elevator after saying goodbye to Finnick and Annie. We step out and walk into the training area. Districts 1,2 and 3 are already waiting.

Once we are all here, a woman with dark skin named Atala explains how training will work.

"In 2 weeks, 23 of you will be dead. One of you will be alive. Who that is depends on how well you pay attention over the next four days, particularly to what I'm about to say. First, no fighting with the other Tributes. You'll have plenty of time for that in the Arena. There are four compulsory exercises. The rest will be individual training. My advice is, don't ignore the survival skills. Everybody wants to grab a sword, but most of you will die from natural causes. 10 percent from infection. 20 percent from dehydration. Exposure can kill as easily as a knife." She explains.

When Atala is done, all of the careers group together. We all exchange names and our weapon talents. Glimmer: bow and arrow, Marvel: spears, Cato: swords, Clove: knives, Me: bow and arrow, Raven: axe.

"Wait, we can't both use the bow and arrow? There will probably only be one in the arena." I say to Glimmer. "Well, I should get it. I claimed it first." Glimmer says. "Oh my god, we went in district order, of course, you said it first!" I defend.

"I say we have a competition." Clove suggests, making all of us turn our heads to the little brunette. "Each person gets five shots, whoever is most accurate gets the bow and arrow." She explains.

"I'm good with that," I say, confident in my abilities. "Yeah, whatever." Glimmer says.

Glimmer and I step into the line for the bow and arrow section. Out of the corner of my eye, I see Katniss turn her head and inspect us carefully. After the people ahead of us go, it's Glimmer's turn.

Glimmer does...okay. She hits a few limbs and one vital organ. In the arena that wouldn't have been horrible, but I'm better.

I step up and tell the instructor to turn on the moving feature. Making the dummies move around a little bit. I grab a bow and quiver. I hit all five dummies on the bullseye.

I set the bow and quiver on the table and walk back to the rest of the careers. "I think I won." I snark at Glimmer.

"Okay," Marvel says, clapping his hands to get our attention. He continues once we are all looking at him. "Rhiannon won that one. Glimmer, you need to choose another weapon." He finishes. "I don't need one." She says, stomping her left foot as she talks. I roll my eyes at her.

"Alright, whatever. We need a leader of our group." Clove says. "Let's take a vote," Raven suggests. We all agree. "All in favor of Marvel, raise your hand," I say.

No one raises their hands. "Yeah, saw that one coming." He says while rubbing the back of his neck.

"All in favor of Glimmer, raise your hands," I say. No one raises their hands. Glimmer only rolls her eyes in response.

"All in favor of Cato, raise your hands." Glimmer raises her hand. "Better than nothing, I guess," Cato says.

"All in favor of Clove, raise your hands." Cato and I raise our hands.

"All in favor of me, raise your hands." Clove, Marvel, and Raven raise their hands.

"You know what I'm not even going to say your name Raven, no offense," I say. "Alright captain, what are we going to do for the rest of training?" Clove says. "I love your Clove but please never say that again. I want all of you to work on your weakest weapon, whatever it may be. You never know when that weapon might be your only one in the arena. Clove, I want you to teach me knife throwing."

[⌖]

After a few tips, I can basically throw a knife with perfect aim. "That was grea-" "Jason where's my knife, huh?" "I didn't touch your knife!" "I put my knife right there!" "I didn't touch your knife!" "You took my knife, you liar!" "I. Didn't. Touch. Your. Knife!" "You little punk! You took my knife!" "I'm just sitting here!" "I'll finish your right now, kid! Actually, better yet, I'll wait for the Arena. You're the first one I get so watch your back." "Everyone back in line!" Atala yells, but Cato pushes on. "You don't know who you're messing with, kid!"

I roll my eyes before turning back to Clove. She pokes me in the arm and points up with her finger. I look at where her finger is pointing. "It's Rue, the girl from eleven," she says. I see the small girl holding Cato's knife looking down at Jason and Cato fighting.

We both look at each other before bursting out laughing. "Don't tell Cato, let's keep it a secret." She says looking at me still smiling while I nod in agreement.

The rest of the training goes quite smoothly before I return to our floor. I see Annie and Finnick sitting on the couch.

"Welcome back, guys! Why don't you go to your room for a bit, Raven? We need to talk with Rhiannon."

----------------------------------------------------------
Status: edited

Word count: 1030 words 

vote & comment :)