epilogue

Minho sat at a wooden desk, staring down at Y/N's crumbled letter. He had read it a hundred times. So many times he could remember the words.

Thomas was healing; he still had a chance at life. But Y/N was gone forever. Minho let out a tired sigh as he stood up, his body swaying slightly. He was beyond exhausted. He had been grieving and worrying every day since they arrived at the Safe Haven.

Everything reminded him of Y/N. The green grass, the blue sky, the fragrant smell of the flowers. It made his heart ache in agony.

Minho pushed the tent flaps aside, slowly stepping out into the warm sun. He squinted. A few people turned their heads, staring at him. They knew him as the lover of a soldier; the boyfriend of a dead warrior who fought until her last breath. And they pitied him. They had all lost people, but having your loved one die in your arms and knowing you could've done more cut deeper than any physical wound.

Minho walked around the gardens. Yeri was there, so was Newt. Frypan was sitting on a log. Gally, Jorge, and Brenda were simply looking around, feeling numb.

Everybody was hurting, but Minho most of all.

"You good?" Newt questioned, firmly patting Minho's shoulder. He let out a strangled chuckle, refusing to cry again.

"Hey, Thomas is awake." Yeri muttered, pointing over to the astounded brunette. He slowly walked towards the gardens, spotting his friends.

Minho and Thomas locked eyes. They seemed to understand each other's pain as they took large steps towards each other.

Both boys paused before Minho embraced Thomas, who firmly hugged his friend back. Minho's eyes glossed over, his shoulders trembling with silent sobs.

"We have come a long way together. So many have sacrificed so much to make this place possible. Your friends and your family. So here's to the ones who couldn't be here. Here's to the friends we lost. Here's to the soldiers who never stopped fighting." Vince locked eyes with Minho. The Asian boy softly smiled, nodding.

"This place is for you. It's for all of us. But this," Vince gestured to the large rock behind him, "This is for them. So, in your own time, in your own way, come make your peace. And welcome to the Safe Haven."

Everybody cheered, even Thomas and Minho. Yeri linked arms with Minho, passing him a suspiciously familiar-looking drink.

Without thinking, Minho took a sip and gagged.

"Oh my gosh, is this Gally's recipe again?!" He exclaimed, scrunching up his nose. His friends laughed. Thomas drank a mouthful as well.

"Oh, man! I never thought I'd say this, but I missed this shit, Gally!"

"This is gonna be a good home for us." Minho muttered, nudging Thomas.

"Yeah." The brunette agreed, nodding his head.

Thomas stood in front of the large tabloid, staring at Teresa's name. Everybody had carved their loved ones' names into the stone, everybody but Minho.

The others all agreed that if anyone were to put Y/N's name on the stone, it would be Minho.

"I guess it's time, huh." Minho sighed as he walked to stand beside Thomas. He shoved his hands into his pockets, pressing his lips into a thin line.

"Yeah." Thomas whispered, nodding his head.

"You know, I'm trying not to talk about her or think about her while it still stings. It's harder than I thought, though. How do I not talk about Y/N when she was all I had? Everything that I went through, she was by my side. And now, she isn't here for the last ride. She will never get the chance to see Paradise."

"She'd be proud of you, Minho. The funny thing is, as much as I disliked her after Winston, we both had one thing in common. We tried to save everybody. But if we save everybody," Thomas looked at Minho, cracking a smile, "Who'll save us?"

"Teresa would be proud of you too. But hey, at least they have each other. They can sit at a fancy table and drink fancy tea, or whatever it is girls do."

"I don't think either of them would be the type to do that."

"Yeah, you're probably right. Maybe they're trying on pink dresses. I was thinking of giving Y/N this." Minho pulled a small box out of his pocket and opened it, revealing a shining ring. Thomas almost choked.

"Dude, where did you get that?"

"I found it in that abandoned mall. I thought it'd be worth some money so I took it."

"You were planning on proposing?"

"Not right now, of course. But when the time was right."

"I'm sure she would have loved it, Minho."  Thomas handed Minho the tools, and put a hand on his shoulder. "Take your time, man. We're here if you need anything."

Thomas walked off. Minho closed his eyes, deeply inhaling. His hands shook as he carved Y/N's name into the rock. A few tears even slipped down his face.

"I miss you." He murmured, tracing a finger over the letters etched into the bumpy surface. "I hope you're happy, baby. Just wait for me, alright? We'll be together eventually."

A large stone tablet stood upright in the green grass. Children often liked to chase each other around it, giggling with pure joy. Occasionally, they'd stop at stare at the names etched into the rock. The names of people who helped get them to Paradise.

Alby.

Chuck.

Teresa.

Winston.

And so many others. But one name stood out amongst the others, carved in bold handwriting with a messy heart around it.

The WICKED soldier who was always destined to be the villain became the saviour. She was a beloved friend, a faithful companion, and a hero. But most of all, she was a lover.

Minho's lover; Y/N.

END.