Chapter 46

"Don't blame yourself," he said. "That's what he would've wanted to say."

???

THE FULL MOON RETURNS TO the sky along with its constellation companions. I was instantly pulled back to the night Alex and I slept in an inflatable swimming pool in the pool at his backyard, stargazing. It almost feels like a Déjà vu, except now, I'm not floating on water.

Nature's orchestra complimented the soft waves swaying on the shores. I could the pebbles being dragged by the currents, back and forth. Owls hoot in the distance, creatures of the night dart in the darkness, and thousands of fireflies surround the environment.

Perseus gathered wood and dried leaves, and with my powers, we set up a campfire to chase the chilly temperature that was devouring us. Or maybe it's just me.

I'm sitting by the lake dock, with my left leg snuggled against my chest and the other dunked in the water. The lake glows in bioluminescence blue and green, which means it is safe as the nymphs are protecting it with their magic. The moon radiates its light upon Perseus, swimming in the water. He swam with elegance, and when he reached the surface to catch his breath, he retained his godly allure. If it were me, I'd look like Ursula from the Little Mermaid, having a bad hair day.

"Care to join me?" his head pops out of the surface as he floats in my direction. "You could use a bath yourself."

"I'm not that dirty," I lied.

I haven't bathed for three days, the longest I've gone without soap and water. I can smell myself without trying, which is already bad. Though, I have no intention of showering in an iced cold lake.

He made a face that said, you-sure-about-that?

"If that were to be true, why do I see twigs tangled in your hair? As well as mud patches on your feathers and clothes?" He gives me a smug look, approaching closer and grabbing my feet. "Oh, and your feet too."

He laughs, now floating with his stomach up and hands behind his head.

"If I had known any better... and I do," his arms gesture at me. "This isn't clean, my angel."

"Still, there's no way I'm getting in that," I said. "I'll freeze to death."

"It's not that bad."

"For you," Perseus always showers with cold water. Even when the servants had prepared pots of hot water for him, he'd always choose cold. And I'd end up using the hot ones, which I'm not complaining about.

"Fair enough," he reaches an arm to me. "Could you at least give me a hand up?"

"Can't you swim back to the shore?"

"Since you're here, it saves me time and effort," he wriggled his fingers, and I couldn't turn away from that smile.

I got to my knees and took his hand, using my strength to pull him up.

He's heavier than I thought.

"Thank you," he released my hand. "LET'S GO!"

And before I could blink, he circled his arms around my chest and dragged us both into the water. My nose burns, and my ears are clogged. I froze to the chilly temperature of the water, and then he appeared in front of me.