Chapter 56

"Ready your weapons!"

???

"ARE YOU SURE ABOUT THIS?" He wanted to confirm.

"Positive," fastening the helmet over my head. "Whatever you say will not change my mind. After all, it's my home too."

As we soar above the town, people are already mesmerized by the flying horse lifting the prince and his companion. Just now, the horse is his new wings. Many rejoice in Perseus's name as Dictys foresee, and many begin trailing behind us as we head towards the castle. Commoners readied their weapons, and guards who remained loyal to the true ruler unmasked themselves, raising their swords and shield into battle.

"I know," he scoffs. "You are always a stubborn daimon."

"Hey, it's what I do best," I said as I embraced the rough landing of Pegasus in front of the castle courtyard, where many other guards await with weapons. There's no denying that they have outnumbered us.

King Polydectes stands at the very back, protecting himself with every possible armor he can fasten. In his grasp is his crown, and now he holds it high, catching everyone's attention.

"Witness the artifact in my hands," he uses his royal voice, loud and clear, catching everyone's attention. He then places the crown over his head. "This crown belongs on my head, for I am your king. Therefore, those who stand against me shall be rewarded with death. Perseus, I'm giving you one last chance to surrender. Do not start what you can't finish."

"I will never surrender," Perseus returns the same tone, standing ahead of me. "I am here to take what's mine."

He held the bag containing Medusa's head in the air, where everyone's eyes were drawn.

"In this bag is the head of the Gorgon, Medusa," he proclaims. Murmurs among the people came in like the waves rushing against the shores. Some praised his heroic deeds, while many objected that he was lying. However, no one dared to ask for proof. "I fulfilled my promises, and now, you are to hold your end of the bargain and set us free."

"I have to admit, I never thought you'd actually kill it. Many had failed, yet you are the first," his half-assed praises cringed the hell out of me. "However, the only reason you managed to defeat it is because you had magic gripping your tail every step you took."

His attention rested on me, and suddenly, so did everyones. Man, why do I always end up being the center of attention? Wow, talk about coincidence, as I'm literally standing in the center of the courtyard.

"You're no hero when your pet, was the true hero who defeated the Gorgon," he cackles.

"He—"

"I did nothing," I speak up. "It was all Perseus's doing."

"Of course, you'd say that," the king leans back as though we were having a casual conversation. "You're his friend, or perhaps, something more? You'd say and do anything to protect him! Don't you think for a second that I have forgotten the little show you've put up during the ball."

"My friends," I close my eyes and summon my powers to reveal the truth. An orb that magnifies in size rises in the air where everyone can see it. I'm already the center of attention, might as well make the best of it. "Let me show you the truth."

I showed everyone exactly what I had shown Perseus back at Medusa's cave.

Judging by their astounded and yet, fearful expressions, I'd say they're starting to believe me once again.

"Witness the heroic deeds of your prince," I said, closing the orb as soon as the memory of her head separating from her body came in. "My friends, wouldn't you have done the same if your loved ones were in the hands of danger? Would you not have gone the extra mile just to save them?"

My eyes travel around the crowd, witnessing many mixed emotions on both sides.

"Perseus did just that because he wanted to save his mother," I conjure another orb, now portraying the queen in her current state. The crowd gasped, and fear lingered in the king's eyes. "Your so-called king did that to her. If he could do that to her, imagine what he'll do to you, to the city."

"Brothers, if you follow a man who has a future of destroying our country, then you shall taste my blade," Perseus holds the sword Zeus had gifted him. He had finally accepted the gift, though forgiving his father? Not so much. "And to those who want to fight for what's right, I extend my arm to have you join us."

The enemies exchanged glances. Many were conflicted, while some remained firm on their choice to stay with the king.

"I am your king!" Polydectes reminds. "You obey my commands!"

Perseus stands by my side, and his fingers intertwine with mine. I face him. He had a soft smile on his face, the kind where you'd just want to say I love you over and over again. His eyes glisten with hope, but there will always be a tinge of doubt hiding behind it.

"Be careful, okay?" He spoke. "Stay close to me."

"I will," I assured. "We're going to win this."

...

Even after showing proof and voicing the final warning, few had retreated from the king's side. Only a handful doesn't change the fact that we are outnumbered. However, this was expected, and regardless, we're not backing down without a fight.

"Ready your weapons!" I stomped my spear onto the ground like a magical staff.

Or perhaps, it could be.

I summon my powers into the battle spear as it transforms into a staff. And suddenly, I'm living a fairy tale moment.

Everyone steadied their positions, waiting for the final call.

"Polydectes," Perseus calls the king. "This is for my mother."

He charges toward the enemy, and I hold my staff into the air as we follow the prince.

"ATTACK!"