Maddison Birchson

Even Maddison had to admit this sucked.
Jaivon Carter, the man who was so sweet he brought his girlfriend flowers and a cupcake every weekend, was dead. Gods, he even used to bring her gifts! Like the playlist she was currently listening to while she worked in her garage.
Why not Casanova? Or someone actually worthy of meeting the afterlife? There were plenty of assholes around Mid-City that could have been taken in his place! Jaivon had been sweet, and at the start of his life!
'Thank the Gods it hadn't been Claire-Bear who'd been taken,' Maddy thought to herself as she grabbed the tools she would need, 'TD had been right behind Quickshift. It easily could have been her.'
Rolling underneath the car on her creeper seat, Maddison Birchson studied the undercarriage intently on the car, searching for the damage or tampering she knew must have been there.
While her loyalty laid with Claire Miles and her Triple Digit persona, she was never against taking some extra cash from other Street-Racers, and taking a look at their cars. They had no idea she was tied to their greatest rival, and Maddy had no intention of telling them. Like, ever.
But she was also the best mechanic in Mid-City. Even the police knew that.
Which is how she ended up looking at Quickshift's recovered car, trying to determine for the police officers investigating his death how the wheel could have been turned against his will. There were ways of doing it, Maddison knew. But which method had been the one used?
Was it not more likely he misjudged where the hairpin turn was?
Adjusting the earphones jutting into her ears, Maddison Birchson blasted the playlist from Jaivon Carter, a tribute to the man who'd died doing what he loved.
Which is how she didn't even notice the garage door sliding open minutes later...