chapter 9

The next morning

Your father opened the door of your apartment with his spear keys. He walked in and saw the 5 of you sleeping in the lounge room. Your father was more surprised when he saw you hugging JongDae tightly while JongDae placed his arms around your waist. 'Have they figure it out yet?' wondered your father. Then, he saw someone getting up. MinSeok saw his father and got out of bed. then he indicated his father to go to his room.

'aboji. why are you here?' he asked.

" to see my children of course!'' replied father, "why were all of you guys sleeping in the lounge room last night?"

"because we just did" replied MinSeok, "we stayed up to talk about a lot of things."

"ahhhh...I see," said father, "why is JongDae and GaHeun so close with each other? they look more like a couple than siblings.....this isn't right...."

"they're always like that though aboji," replied MinSeok, "I don't see there's a problem..."

"of course you can't see a problem!" exclaimed father.

MinSeok looked at him blankly.

"Look MinSeok, there's something I want to tell you," said father, "you've just turned 22 this year right?"

"yes aboji," replied MinSeok,

"don't you think that it's weird that eomoni can give birth to the 5 of you within 5 years?" asked father.

"well...eomoni and aboji must have worked hard," said MinSeok awkwardly.

"ai," said father, "I have to tell you something but you have to promise me that you don't tell anybody. Especially GaHeun and JongDae,"

"what is it?" asked MinSeok,

"GaHeun and JongDae aren't twins," said father, "GaHeun is also not your real sister. She was adopted."

MinSeok was shocked. He fell onto the bed. Your father sighed.

"But...But it couldn't be!" denied MinSeok, "GaHeun has all of aboji's traits."

"It is," said aboji, "you won't remember this at all. When you were 3 years old, JongDae was born. Our neighbour's daughter was born a week after JongDae, and that was GaHeun. GaHeun's real mother and eonomi were good friends. One night, the neighbours told us to look after GaHeun because they were going out for their 2nd wedding anniversary. This was when GaHeun and JongDae were 5 months old. We thought that the neighbours were really celebrating their wedding anniversary. However, they never came back to collect GaHeun. We later received news that they left the country already. We can sue them to be honest but we don't want to do that. GaHeun is innocent. She doesn't deserve any of this. Hence, we adopted her instead and change her name, calling us our daughter."

"what was her name before she was adopted?" asked MinSeok.

"her name was Chun SeongIm." replied father.

"Don't worry aboji. I promise you that I won't tell anyone about this. Especially JongDae and GaHeun," said MinSeok, "I'll take care and love GaHeun more, like always."

"MinSeok-ar. I'm giving this responsibility to you. I trust you," said father. "I don't want her to feel excluded and not part of the family."

MinSeok gave his father a hug. Little did both of them knew that you heard the whole conversation as you got up to go to the bathroom. You were shocked and surprised. You went to the bathroom and closed the door quietly. Then you squat down and started crying softly. Was I always unwanted in my life? Why doesn't anyone love me?