And Going

The two of you laid unbelievably close, legs one nap from being intertwined. But sleep still didn't come easy. You feared beyond the reach of your senses, that which could over-take you without consent, and Alma wanted to wait for your calm. As she looked down at your faux sleeping form, her mind raced with the implications of your Peculiarity. Mind reading, dream walking, all of them were fairly common so why were you so uncommon? Alma had already adored how strange and bizarre you were without your Peculiarity, as did many of the children. It was how you didn't feel unwanted after 4 years. You were kind and compassionate, accepting yet witty, mysterious but you knew yourself. And yet you feared rejection at every turn.

While thinking on the implications of your Peculiarity, she forgot the literal side. Your voice knocked her from her thoughts, and your question chilled her blood. "Who were those boys hurting you?" you mumbled, sleep pulling at you and winning.

Alma pressed another kiss to your head, this time the crown as you were both already in the position. "Shh..." she urged, not wishing to discuss the unpleasantness of her brothers.

"Brothers?" you asked, voice still laden with sleepiness.

"Shh...." Alma laughed out, pressing another kiss to the top of your head. Her hand on your back pulled you closer to her.

The steady thumping under your ear lulled your heart from its fear, pulling you to another world. Not a full minute passed before your breathing steadied and you were limp against her.

Alma looked down at your finally peaceful form, and smiled. They'd discovered your gift. Her smile brightened at the pride within her and raised the hand not pinned beneath you, around your waist to hold your lower back, to caress your free locks. She followed you soon after.

*

The sun was making its first appearance on the repeated day when Alma rose again, this time naturally. She reflexively went to stretch, but soon found herself trapped. Her eyes settled on you and she remembered. Another involuntary smile pulled at her lips.

You didn't appear in pain or uncomfortable, a rarity for you when you slept. After 70 years, Alma could tell by the sun that she had the time to lay there and do nothing. Breakfast took place exactly 17 minutes and 13 seconds to make and the children would not wake for another 43 minutes and 39 seconds. Ample time to observe your rare peace.

You'd lived in the loop for four years yet still had so much to learn. About the loop, the children, Alma, and of course yourself. Alma could not wait for the day you understood the twins for a moment. Perhaps that would come sooner with your gift, though it would be no less welcome. She wanted to see Claire in your lap and you not gape at her backmouth. She wanted to know you'd been with Horace after one of his nightmares. She wanted you and Enoch to duel again. She wanted to patch you up and scold you both afterward. Alma wanted you fully a part of the loop, not your hesitant self asking such polite, guest questions. Your Headmistress wanted you.

Her thoughts turned much less appropriate - she scolded herself severely. Ymbrynes were warned of this. Wards of-age or nearly so were capable of providing unexpected.. urges. Protective could become possessive, love could become co-dependency. Co-Heads were born this way, but you were a Ward first!

Alma would not compromise a security you'd never had for a security she'd never had. You were a Ward and a Ward you would stay.

A cry ripped from your throat. Her eyes flew to your lips. She forced her gaze away, taking in the rest of your body signs. Your eyelids twitched and swirled, pushed and pulled by your mind's affect on. Your fingers grasps at her night dress, clenched white-knuckled as far into fists as they would go. Your lips pressed into a fine line; Alma forced her eyes to move on again. Your night-shirt (you refused to wear dresses) had ridden up and your stomach clenched at whatever you were seeing. 'Move on!' Your knees rose nearly to the point of you curled into a ball.