CHAPTER 2

a/n: small preface, the first bit of this story will be based thoroughly on the campaign (fixation go brrr) but with a few changes to implicate monarch and greene.

also i apologize for taking a millennia to update, my mental health is going down like the titanic rn.

enjoy!

the captain and the lieutenant
-
Monarch

i groaned as i felt a sudden nudge at my shoulder. "monarch, get the hell up. we're at the safehouse." 

my right hand shifts to prop myself up, but i find myself wincing as pain shoots up my arm. "merda!" i hiss in italian.

i learned italian, along with other languages, during my work with the cia. i consider italian my second language, as i use it most alongside english. this is mainly because greene knew it as well, and we used it to communicate in front of others.

greene tilts his head at me. "sta bene?" (you okay?) 

i pause for a moment before raising my hand, showing the lieutenant the cuts across my hand. "that's only part of the problem." i growl. he nods, understanding flashing in his pale blue eyes.

i stand up, making sure i can walk before standing at greene's side as the hatch of the bird opens. the sudden light from the sun startled me, but i quickly adjusted and scanned the area.

my analytical e/c eyes land on two men who had also recently exited their bird. approaching them from the base was a third. all three men were above six feet tall, and that very slightly intimidated me. very slightly.

the shortest of the three, who i quickly identified as alejandro, spotted us and waved us over. with a glance at greene, i started toward the three men. different things flashed through my mind, but i expressed nothing on my face. i made sure greene was at my side before starting to stride over.

"lieutenant greene!" my eyes snap to the voice as greene and i reach the trio. 

"colonel vargas!" greene replies with enthusiasm (where he got that enthusiasm from, i have no clue). 

the lieutenant and the colonel shake hands briefly before the latter's eyes shift downward to mine. "captain! i hear you're called monarch." 

i nod, managing to meet his eyes. his head tilts in understanding when the realization washes over his face that i am in a nonverbal state.

my eyes flicker curiously to the other two men, my interest piqued by the united kingdom flags on their uniforms. 

as if he read my mind, alejandro turns to the two, "ah, this is sergeant mactavish, but he goes by 'soap.'" the colonel gestures to the shorter of the two as he speaks. 

i offer him a respectful nod, subconsciously searching the sergeant for any sign of suspicious behavior.

it was in my nature to have trust issues.

it was also in my nature to hate that i had to look up at everyone in this conversation.

my eyes dart back to alejandro, waiting on him to tell us who the tallest man in the conversation was. alejandro's head turned, tilting back slightly to meet the taller man's deep eyes. "this, mis amigos (my friends), is the lieutenant. laswell says they call him 'ghost.'"

i take in the height difference between myself and ghost, refusing to feel threatened by the mountain of a human being. instead, i felt an interest spark towards the lieutenant. after a moment, alejandro speaks again.

"welcome to the city of souls."

591 words

I AM SO SORRY THIS CHAPTER IS SHORT, I LOST INTEREST IN THIS ONE CHAPTER BECAUSE IM WRITING AHEAD. I SWEAR I WILL UPDATE SOON; IM CURRENTLY TRYING TO FIGURE OUT HOW IM GONNA WRITE THE CAMPAIGN STUFF.

i'm currently trying to figure out a storyline for greene. i might potentially write a little love story with him and someone else. who, you may ask? if i told you, i'd have to kill you.

have a lovely day, i promise i will update as my mental health permits.

love you all, stay safe!!

🦋