CHAPTER 3

I'M BACK BITCHES

"Black hole sun, won't you come and wash away the rain?"

-

Greene and I share a glance before following Alejandro to a convoy of black vehicles. I tense up slightly as I remember the orders given to myself and my lieutenant.

Greene catches on to my apprehension. "Alejandro," he calls, "Monarch and I were told to infil from shadow near the bridge."

"I don't know about them," Alejandro turns to myself and Greene. "You'll have to ask Ghost."

We both turn to the lieutenant expectantly.

Ghost eyed me before explaining, "Shadow Company should be here directly after we leave to hunt Hassan." The British man shifted. "Graves will drop you two off near the bridge along with two vehicles for our exfil."

I nod. "Trust him," I sign calmly to Greene, earning an inquisitory stare from Soap. I meet the sergeant's eyes blankly before turning to the safehouse building.

"Good hunting," Greene says to the three men before turning and following me into the safehouse.

\/

Around half an hour went by before we heard an aircraft land outside. I hopped up with Greene in my wake and went to investigate.

A short distance away, a shorter blond man stood, watching Greene and me expectantly.

"Graves, correct?" I implore before Greene. My voice was calm despite the suspicion that festered within my mind. Greene glances over at me, curious as to why I was suddenly verbal again. I brush him off and focus on the blond man.

"Yup, that's me." Graves' voice was different than I expected but wasn't displeasing to my ears. "Nice to meet you, Captain L/N, Lieutenant Greene," he added. "Now, let's hop to it, eh?"

I follow Graves onto the aircraft with Greene at my heels. The lieutenant was abnormally quiet, and curiosity nagged at me as to why.

\/

Soon enough, Greene and I were in position. We crouched in a wooded area, guarding two camouflaged trucks.

"You seemed out of it when we were with Shadow Company," I point out after a moment. "You okay?"

Greene shifted uncomfortably. "Graves made me nervous," He admitted.

"Nervous?"

"Yes, nervous," Greene grumbled, "Nervous like a teenager seeing their crush in the hallway."

A smirk tugs at the scarred corner of my mouth, and I thank whatever god there was that I was wearing a mask.

"I know you're grinning over there, Monarch," he snapped. "You and I both need to focus. Watch the river." He was suddenly annoyed.

Before I could respond, Greene turned his back to me. Anxiety began to grow in my chest. But I can't vocalize my worries due to loud sounds from the AO.

I curse under my breath as I see armored vehicles on the bridge firing at the river. I clutch my radio. "Graves, now would be a good time for air support!" I barked into the comm's channel.

Soon after my callout, I hear Ghost, Soap, and Alejandro in the comms channel. They were greeting Graves as he dealt with the men on the bridge.

"Greene," I call, "get ready to haul ass."

"Copy."

Ghost's voice cut into my earpiece. "Graves, we've located Monarch for exfil."

"Roger that," Graves answered. "Be advised, we got a possible hit on Hassan, two klicks north of your position."