1 Homecoming

Two years ago, after completing school, Icarus left his home with his guardian, Daedalus, to travel the Greek islands. Daedalus had only one rule for his dependent when he was away traveling: return home by his twentieth birthday.

As Icarus was directed, he returned home to his watcher's house on the final day of his teens. Upon his arrival, Daedalus could not hide the quick look of concern in his eyes as the lad walked into his home. He shifted his expression into a welcoming smile and took Icarus into his big arms.

The men's bare torsos press against each other. The senior's chest hair sticks to his junior's mostly barren pecs. Only between his developing rock mounds does their hair tangle together. The heat of the summer day made both men slick with sweat yet somehow glued the two together.

"Icarus, my boy," he says, "You have grown into a man. You are only a bit shorter than me now."

Still in his arms, Icarus looks up at his father figure. He could smell the wine on his idol's breath and the musk of well-worked man parts. The familiar scents make him smile. He takes his patriarch's face in. Big brown eyes, scruffy beard, and dark curly hair, now with shocks of grey. He has missed him.

About five years ago, It was just the two of them as the only remaining members of their families. Years before, life-long friends, Daedalus and Brok, moved in next to each other with their young wives. Brok, Icarus's birth father, died when the boy was a young child. To make ends meet, his mother became a harlot at the local brothel. She was later killed in a heated argument with a client half a decade ago. Daedalus, a genius engineer and widower, inherited his best friend's teen and raised Icarus on his own and made sure he went to the house of Sherik, a local philosopher, daily before his military training. Daedalus thought it important to grow mentally as well as physically. He had always put his adopted son first and was sure to make Icarus feel important and loved. As much as it saddened both of them, two years ago, Sherik told Daedalus that Icarus must complete a year in the military and then go out and learn about the world. So off the youth went.

Now reunited, the two stare at each other for a few moments. Daedalus takes in how much his chosen son has matured. His golden hair was just long enough to cover his ears, the sight of blonde stubble patching his chin and upper lip, and the feel of his firm torso in his arms.

At the same time, Icarus realizes for the first time how well-built his stand-in father is. With his hand resting on the strong crevice of Daedalus's lower back, Icarus can feel the might of his superior's pecs and the mounds of muscle they contain.

The two part, almost bashfully

"Thank you, Daed," Icarus replies, looking his fit mentor up and down.

Just like always, Daedalus is sporting his summer loungewear, a light linen cloth wrapped around his waist and draped only to mid-thigh. As long as Icarus can remember, his 'father' dressed like this in the blistering summer months, but today it is almost as though he is seeing him for the first time.