e i g h t

Chapter Eight: True Nature

Jill Valentine could feel her heart speed up as the three of them followed the blood trail that was leading them down the corridor— the amount of blood on the floor had Jill worried about Alena, the woman had lost too much blood and despite what she had done, Jill just wanted her to be safe.

Drowned in her own thought, she had not noticed that they had entered another section of the lab— flashes of red lights illuminated the entire hall as a computerized female voice informed them about the lab's current situation, it seemed like the viral outbreak had reached to a critical level and that all occupants were advised to leave the premises. "Guess that's our cue... Come one."

Chris sped up his pace while the other two followed close behind him and at the end of the narrow hall, they came across another sealed door, though this one required a code and to their luck, Alena's blood had smeared traces on the padlock, giving them some clue on what the code was.

It didn't take them long to figure out the code and after just a few tries, Jill managed to unlock it—she reached for the handle but a hand stopped her, causing her to look up to a pair of concerning browns. "Whatever happens in there..." Chris stared into her blues. "I'll always have your back."

He placed his larger hand on hers and together the two of them pressed the lever down, pushing the thick door open that brought them into an isolated laboratory—screen monitors and control panel were lined up on one side, and large tube-like capsules on the other. "What the hell is this?"

Jill approached one of the capsules, it appeared to be vacant but she could assume that it once contained a creature in it— it might be one of the creatures that she had encountered on that night.

The woman was about to answer Chris but when she looked over to him, she saw Albert Wesker— hunching over a computer as his fingers were punching in some code into it, and despite that he had been caught in his act, the blonde man appeared calm. And Chris had also noticed his presence.

"Wesker!" He shouted as he chased after the older Wesker with the other two trailing behind him.

However, as they approached their team leader, Barry aimed his revolver at Albert before bringing it towards the other two, which completely caught them off guard— "What the hell, Barry?!" Jill exclaimed, feeling the cold end of the barrel dug into the back of her head. "You're in this too?"

"I'm sorry—"

"Fuck, Burton! How could you...?" Chris cut him off and turned to him, and it broke his heart when he learned that the man he had looked up to as a brother, one that had his most trust, had betrayed them as well. He could feel his body shaking in pure rage. "How could you do this—"

"They got Kathy and the girls..." Barry explained, remorse filling his gruff voice as he shifted his aim towards Chris, knowing that the young man was unpredictable with his temper. "I have to."

"Don't blame him." Albert broke the silent tension between them and for a moment, Chris had forgotten about the real monster in the room— Albert's lips stretched to a malicious smirk as he stared at the screen in front of him, savoring the fact that he had everything under his control.

"We all know he loves his family. We wouldn't want anything to happen to your dearest wife and daughters..." He glanced at the older man, his smirk widened as he continued. "Don't we, Barry?"

Barry pursed his lips and shifted uncomfortably his feet. "We had a deal. Now let my family go."

"The deal is we'll release them after we are done..."