t h i r t e e n

Chapter Thirteen: Hell Rises

"Jill? Jill!"

The woman looked at the person who called out for her, her tensed shoulders relaxed when she saw it was her friend and comrade, Brad Vickers—a frown made its mark on the man's round face when he saw her terrible state, she had scratches all over her, and blood dripped down from her head, and not to mention, she was holding onto her abdomen her legs shook as she limped to him.

She looked like shit.

"Brad!"

"You OK?" He asked after he guided her out from the street.

"Yeah." She breathed out. "What the hell was that thing?"

"Damned, if I know." He answered her as the two of them walked down the sidewalk with him at the front. "But right now, it's got a hard-on for the only two S.T.A.R.S left in town. You and me." 

He turned to her, his hands gestured to the chaos around them, and he shook his head. "I'm not planning on sticking around. Just look around. The longer we wait, the more screwed we are."

Jill followed close behind him, her gaze went to the horrific scene before her—hordes of people were running around, screaming and shouting, some were carrying their belongings together with them, and a few cars screeched past them at full speed without a care about the civilians on the street.

There was an abandoned school bus and an overturned police car that blocked the main street, and they had to squeeze through between the two vehicles to continue their walk—the cold air was thick with the stench of death, the smell of smoke mixed with rotten flesh lingered into their nose.

Memories from the Mansion Incident struck into her mind, Jill could not believe that she had to go through it once more, and this time, it was much worse— thousands of innocents were involved in this, and the entire city had turned into hell. "How could this happen so fast?"

"I dunno." Brad covered his face when an abandoned car near them exploded. "One fucked up thing always leads to another. It's like the mansion all over again... but this time, with steroids."

Her steps faltered at the mention of the mansion, her heart quickened when her ears picked up on the sound of groans and moans, though she did not dare to look at where it came from— the nightmare had returned to haunt her, reaching out and choking her with its cold skeletal hand.

Jill swallowed.

"Hey! Hey! Wait! Down here!" Brad called out as a searchlight from a helicopter hovering over them passed them, he made a run for it and waved his arms around in an attempt to get the pilot's attention—he ushered Jill to follow him, and the two of them rounded up at a corner.

The helicopter did not see them as it flew over a horde of infected people, the light shone over through the large metal fence that was barely holding them—Jill felt her skin crawl and her bones rattle at the sight before her, the groans, and moans of the undead now had become clearer to her.

It was not a dream anymore, this was real... it was happening again.

Brad seemed to not have noticed the horde that was reaching their hands for him, he was too focused on the helicopter above them and was taking a step closer to the fence—Jill grabbed him just when the undead could have him but their close proximities drove them to launch at them, the makeshift barriers could not support the intense pressure and fell over as the infected started pouring at them.

"Come on. In there!" Brad held her hand and pulled her towards a bar.

The two ran past the horde and almost bumped into several infected people, and Jill had to elbow one as it tried to take a bite of her neck while Brad had tripped over his own feet and was fortunate that she helped him to get back up with a pull on his ridiculous yellow vest—they managed to get through the door and slammed it right behind them.