f i f t e e n

Chapter Fifteen: Ghost of the Past

Jill Valentine let out a breath once she was sure that she had lost the mutated creature who had again pursued her to the underground sewer—she had regrouped with Carlos after she managed to reactivate the power from the substation and redirected the train route to Fox Park Station.

However, their reunion was cut short when the creature made another appearance and continued to hunt Jill—the selfless woman decided to hand the U.B.C.S. soldiers some time to fix the train that was going to transport civilians out of the hot zone and led the creature away.

She led the creature into the sewer, crawled into several tight tunnels, and made some detours to confuse it—and after about half an hour and a brief encounter with a giant B.O.W. that had been bred and lived in the sewers for almost six months, she was able to lose her pursuer.

Water splashed around her as she walked through the underground tunnel, and for every sound, she heard made her look over her shoulder, she knew that it would be almost impossible for the creature to find her, especially in the labyrinth-like sewer but she still had to be careful.

The grenade launcher that she had found in a maintenance room rested close to her chest—Jill ran up to a ladder that would bring her back to the surface, but before she climbed on it, she took out the radio that was given by Carlos and pressed on the PTT button. "Carlos, can you hear me?"

"Jill!" His voice buzzed through and sounded glad. "Oh, thank God! Everything OK?"

"Yeah. I'm all right. I lost him." She told him, looking back at the sewer tunnel behind her.

"Great! The subway's ready to go. We'll leave as soon as you make it back."

Jill could feel relief washed over her at the news, her mind had been bugging her about leaving the nightmare once and for all, and she grabbed onto the ladder. "Roger that." She kept the radio back in her back pocket and started to make her climb toward the surface with a smile on her face.

But it seemed that life had other plans for her when she heard heavy stomps coming towards her, and before she could even go back down, a massive hand punched through the manhole and grabbed onto her head—pulling her out with such ease and throwing her a couple of feet away.

Jill grunted when her body made contact with the tarred ground, though it sounded more like frustration rather than because of the pain—and she instantly got onto her feet and turned around to the grotesque-looking creature, but to find it pointed a flame gun at her face.

"Shit." She cursed and dodged to the side, right in time as it pressed on the trigger and a massive ball of fire shot out from the end barrel.

Jill looked behind her where she saw a frame of a building towering over them, she noticed a door that would lead her in and immediately made a run for it, though her steps faltered as she did not expect to see a horde that awaited her at the entrance gate—she gritted her teeth and throw the launcher over her shoulder to pull her own handgun from the holster, starting to shoot at them.

One of the infected managed to grab her on the arm and opened its mouth to take a chunk of her flesh but before she could take a shot at its head, someone beat her to it, and its rotten flesh and blood splattered on her face—Jill was stunned for a moment and looked up to the building where she assumed the shot had been made and saw a shadow moving across one pillar to another.

She frowned, it was the same shooter that had saved her back at the parking garage, one that she thought was Carlos but wasn't. It was someone else.

"S.T.A.R.S.!" A loud roar interrupted her thought and she looked behind her to see the creature was after her with its flame gun aiming at her—and she sprinted towards the door and entered the building, and in an attempt to slow it down, she pulled down the shutter door to block its path.