Chapter 8- Freeing Santa

Scott and I turned around in surprise.

"Bernard!" Charlie ran over to the elf.

Bernard picked up his coat from the chair and walked over to him. "Hiya, sport."

"Bernard, can I go? Please can I go, Bernard?" Charlie begged.

"It's okay with me." Bernard looked up at us.

~~~

"Charlie's got some great ideas on how to keep you safe." Scott and I walked down the stairs as Bernard talked. "Santa, this is Quintin. Head of research and development."

"Quintin, good to meet ya." Scott shook his hand.

"Hello, Santa. Hello, (Y/n). Charlie and I have put our heads together, and I think we've got a few surprises for you," Quintin explained.

"This is some of the best that's come out of the workshop since... the ball," Bernard said.

"Fabulous. What happens if I fall off the roof?" Scott followed Bernard.

~~~

"Fireplaces will no longer be a problem," Bernard explained the suit.

"It's a new fabric. Completely flame-retardant," Quintin added. "It's light, yet durable."

"And you could wear the jumpsuit under your coat and pants," Judy piped in.

"But what do I do if I fall off a roof?" Scott asked.

"Unless there's another Scott Calvin who yells at people on their roof, there really shouldn't be a problem," I teased.

~~~

"Is he going to be alright?" I watched Scott take off with Charlie.

"We've got radio contact with him at all times. If he's in trouble, we'll know," Judy said.

I watched the beacon go into Illinois. Laura's house. It was there for a few minutes.

"Why isn't it moving?" I asked in confusion.

Judy ran out to the balcony. "We've got a problem. Santa was at the Miller's, but he's not responding."

Quintin sat back in his seat. "Well, time to deploy E.L.F.S."

"I'm going," I said, running down the stairs.

"What? No. You're staying here, safe," Bernard protested.

"Look, Scott is my best friend. If he's in trouble, I need to help him. Especially if something happened to Charlie," I said.

"Fine. But only because I know you care about him." Bernard said.

The E.L.F.S. had me fly with them. I tried my hardest not to get nauseous. I landed next to Charlie, making me sigh in relief. He was safe. He immediately accepted my hug when I embraced him.

"Charlie?" the elf asked.

"Yeah?" Charlie questioned.

"Don't worry. We're the good guys. C'mon, let's go save Santa," the elf said.

"We can't. The police are watching this place." Charlie frowned, getting up.

"Yeah, they probably are. But, you see, we weren't figuring on walking out the front door. We find that we can get around a lot faster if we fly. Now, you have to hold my hand, and hang on tight. And Charlie?"

"Yeah?" he asked.

The elf smiled. "Don't ever try this without E.LF.S. supervision." 

I nodded, and Charlie took the elf's hand. We flew to the police department. We opened the door and stood in front of the desk. The guy had to look over his desk to see the kids.

"We're looking for Santa Claus," the elf said.

The officer was annoyed. "Go home, kids. Visiting hours are over." 

"We're not kids." The elf looked at Charlie. "And we're not visiting."

"We're here to bust out Calvin," I said, smirking.

"You're the Calvin boy," the officer realized. "Who are these other kids?"

"We're your worst nightmare. Elves with attitude." The elf smirked.

Two elves pulled him down into his chair. Three of them wrapped him in ribbon, tying him to the chair. Charlie was laughing the whole time, making me smile. I had to hand it to them; they were making a hilarious scene.

"Untie me! I mean it!" the officer shouted before Charlie shoved a donut in his mouth.

We ran into the jailhouse and the elf pulled out a strand of tinsel. He handed it to me and I cut the hinges with ease. I looked at the piece of foil in amazement. I wondered how long it took to invent this.

Scott looked at me in amazement. "How'd you do that?" 

The elf smirked. "Tinsel. Not just for decoration."