Chapter 11

superpower
/ˈsuːpəpaʊə/

•an exceptional or extraordinary power or ability.

LONDIWE

“Ms Ziqubu, I'm glad you came.”, The principal says shaking my hand.

I take a seat next to Kwazi , facing a badly injured boy and his fuming parents .He is wet from the head to the chest area of his shirt. I look at Kwazi and he's just looking down.

“Mr Ziqubu ,do you mind telling us what happened in the boy's restroom?”, the principal says while we're all looking at Kwazi and he just shakes his head no.

“Okay very well then, how about you Mr Mncube”, he's now facing the other learner.

“He... He came up to me while I was in the restroom washing my hands and he said that I should leave Asanda alone and the he-”

“ He's lying!”, Kwazi says with anger and I hold his hand.

Mr Mncube is holding his angry wife back

“Who's Asanda ?”, The mother is looking at me angrily but I don't care right now.

“ She's my girlfriend.” , the boy says.

“So Mr Du Toit you called me all the way from work for a teenage love affair? It's pretty clear that these boys were fighting for the girl.”, I say . I'm trying to win this , last time I had to pay for medical expenses and I'm not doing it this time around.

“What! I can't believe this! Your animal of a child almost killed my son and you have the nerve to tell us that!”,  Mrs Mncube shouts .

At this moment I'm trying my best to keep my composure.

The principal speaks,“ Mrs Mncube please come down, you may continue.”

“ And then he ...he pushed me into one of the stalls and put my head in the toilet. I almost drowned.  When he had enough,he got my head out and started punching me .”, the boy is now crying.

Kwazi tenses next to me.

“ Do you still want to tell your side ,Mr Ziqubu.”

“Sir ,he's lying,it didn't happen like that.”

“Then how did it happen you,animal!”, the wife says .

“Call my brother an animal again and you'll see what a real animal is ,I'm telling you.”, this woman is making me lose my temper right now.

“Ms Ziqubu,Mrs Mncube, please.”

“You may continue Mr Ziqubu.”

Kwazi shakes his head no and the Principal just nods.

“ Ms Ziqubu ,your brother has came into this office because of misbehaving too many times.” , Ok, Mr principal is now lying, this is the third time.

“Should he misbehave once more I'll have no choice but to expel him. ” , Oh god, lomntana undenza ntoni na ngoku. Now I'll have to find a new school for him,worse it's already test season.

“But for now, Mr Ziqubu is suspended for 2 weeks. You may come collect his school work on Monday.", The principal says once again.

“ One week ? That's all?” , Mrs Mncube says.

“Yes, you may leave.”, the principal shows us the door.

I don't hesitate, I take Kwazi's hand and lead him to the car. The ride to the flat is quiet,the silence is thick because I don't want to be shouting him infront of Derrick.
We get home and I tell him to take off his school uniform and eat before we have the talk.

It's been 5 minutes now and still Kwazi hasn't gotten out of his room. I swear I'm gonna kill that boy!

“Kwazi! Hewena Kwazi!”, I shout , getting no response from him.

I go to his room .

”No,no ,no.”, I see his body laying on the bed. I'm panicking as I pick up the pill container. I feel his pulse,it's still here. I quickly rush to get my phone and dial Qhawe's number.

“Baby”, He says from the other line.

“Please come.”, I say sniffing.

“ What's wrong sthandwa sam?”

“Kwazi, he...he drank pills,a lot of them.” I'm now wailing. How can Kwazi do this .

Okay ,I'm coming right now!.”, I hear him shuffling on the other line.

I try calling the ambulance and it's taking too damn long.  I'm panicking right now.

“ please don't die, please baby brother please.” I shake his body a few times while crying my eyeballs out.

Qhawe arrived and we took him to the hospital.
It has been a few hours since we got here ,the doctors are still working on him.

“Kwazi Ziqubu?”, the doctor calls .

“Here!” I say. Qhawe holds my hand as the doctor approaches us.

“ Kwazi's sister right?"

“Yes , how is he?can I see him.”, I'm worried about my brother.

“You can ,but only one person is allowed in.”, the doctor gives Qhawe an apologetic look.

Qhawe let's go of my hand and whispers in my ear. “Go babe,I'll wait for you here.”

I follow the doctor to where Kwazi is.

“Is he gonna be okay doc?”, I ask the doctor.

“Yes, we've managed to drain the pills from his system but we'll have to keep him here for a day or two just to monitor him.”, the doctor says.

“Thank you doc.”, I hold Kwazi's hand as he lays on the bad unconscious.

“One more thing Ms Ziqubu. The boy needs someone to talk to and the hospital can assist if you struggle to get the help needed.”

“Someone to talk to?like a shrink?”, I frown.

“Yes, a therapist.”

“Uhm , okay. I'll manage to get him one,thank you once again.”

The doctor nods and leaves.

If only Kwazi would talk to me about what's bothering him. I have no idea how I'll inform mom about this since she gave Kwazi her phone when he came here. I don't even have my aunt's number.
I guess I'll have to miss Qhawe's family dinner,my brother is more important right now.