10 - "worry"

—third person pov

third person pov

Walking to school felt gruesome for Makoto, she felt like her legs were all wobbly and she was going to legit faint.

She slopped down into her chair, sighing. Makoto glanced at her water, water helps. She chugged it down easily trying to freshen up.

Rui rushed into class when the bell rung and slid into his seat, he glanced at Makoto. She seemed fine, that was what Makoto thought he'd be saying to himself.

He was really worried for her actually, he wasn't sure if she'd get upset if he pried at her about it. So he didn't say a word.

Makoto turned to him. "Rui," he turned to her, "..Thanks." she mumbled. He smiled and ruffled her hair, her assurance made him glad.

The class was actually Science, and in science they were building. Makoto immediately turned to Rui to pair up with him, "Who else would I pair up with?" he would say.

For the assignment they had to build a prototype to solve an economic problem, what a weird subject but an easy way to get good grades.

Rui drew out all the blueprint of it, while Makoto just watched because she had no idea what to do.

He showed her his blueprint, though it looked pretty complicated. "You're brilliant Rui-kun!" Makoto compliments him.

Brilliant? Weird, this feeling has never occurred in Rui's stomach. Since when did he feel this giddy when she complimented him? His face heated up, she always praised him so why is it weird now?

"Rui, your face is all red." Makoto pointed out, chuckling a bit. He covered his face with his hands, weird.

Before heading home with Rui and departing from him, Rui stops.

"What?" she asks, staring at him. "Makoto," he says, "are you.. okay?" She was a bit dumbfounded at the moment, no one really asks her about her wellbeing so this was a first.

"Yeah, why?" she replies. He starts, "Well, it was so odd seeing you cry yesterday," he pauses, his voice cracking a little, "You never cry and you're always collected and smiling, you're bottling up all your feelings up until they burst."

"Makoto," he holds her hands. "Rui, I'm fine," she mumbles, "thanks..". His grip on her hands tightens, "I don't believe you.."

"Makoto, I care for you so much. I don't think you know that but me and so many others care for you and seeing you slowly hurting yourself isn't.. good," he pauses, "Tell me. Are you okay?"

Okay? What does that even mean? Is there a state where everything just becomes still and quiet? That'd be nice.

Makoto ended up just telling him over 20 times that she was okay. Then having to hug him then call Nene.

Weird, he cares. He cares a lot. Dating him would be a dream, he'd treat her so good and gently.

Why think about these thoughts? It's not like she'll actually ask him out, as if he even likes her back. Or so she thought.

Whatever, these feelings can be pushed aside. Rui would scold her if she said that to him, she kept saying to herself 'I'm okay'.

She was indeed not ok, she developed a cold.