Chapter 2: I Didn't Mean It

I didn't want to see him but he was my Father, and we were sitting next to each other in that crowded Minivan.

He was doing it for him, not for me. He knew I wanted to stay with the Clan, and do what I was chosen to do, rebuild the Strigoi Empire.

But for him there was no reason to stay of coarse. He was never a true Strigoi, my Mom and her passion was the only reason he stayed in the first place.

I could sense he felt uneasy when it came to the Clan. I never knew why exactly, I guessed because he felt like he didn't belong there.

He was acting strange those past few days towards me and the Elder's. I even heard him talking to the Elder's once, I didn't know what they were saying but I heard my name a couple of times and they sounded upset.

Ever since my Mother died, Dad doesn't eat, sleep, or speak. He can't even look at me. I don't even know why I agreed to go with him. He just seemed lost, like he needed me to find him. I had to help him.

I stared out the window for a few more moments and finally worked up the courage to speak to my poor Father.

We've always been close, and I was hoping that that still remained. Maybe I could snap him out of it.

I quickly turned to him before I could change my mind. "Dad? Please, talk to me. What is going on?" I asked hoping and waiting for an answer, even a slight reaction, anything.

But he just sat there with a blank face. I've never seen him so torn apart.

Not even when his parent's were killed by Kynigós. I didn't know why or how to help him. I was never that sad when Mom died, I just knew she would be fine. We would be fine, I was sure of it.

I decided to give it another try. There was still hope and I wasn't going to give up on him, not on him, he was the only thing I had left.

I worked up another ounce of courage but I was becoming restless. "I can help you. Just tell me what's wrong?" I said this time demanding his answer. Hopefully that would get him talking.

At that moment the car stopped and we were there. Well at least he did something, I guess.

We were parked in front of a tiny house in the middle of the woods.

But then again, Dad chose to ignore me. He didn't even bother to answer me. I felt so frustrated, I've never felt so useless. I really wanted to pull him out of this situation but I was stuck with a bomb on my chest and I was going to explode.

But once again I kept my cool, he needed me that's all I had to do.

With my last bit of patience and the last drop of courage I had in me, I tried again. "I can't help you if you don't tell me. I really don't know what to do. Dad, please?" I asked as I exhaled trying to relieve myself from all the pain stuck in my chest.

Then I reminded myself of my goal and I looked up to my father expecting an answer.

He took a deep breath and stepped out of the car. I looked at him in confusion as he walked away. Didn't he realize I was trying to be there for him? Didn't he see the pain I was in? Did he forget how to be a father?

And that was it. My patience ended. The bomb ticked and boom, it exploded.

I quickly ran after him and pulled him back to face me. I was done being nice. This time I was gonna make sure he damn right listened to me. And this time, I did not want to be ignored.

I stood tall and proud as I got ready to speak my mind. "I'm supposed to be the child, but you're the one acting like one. Just pull yourself together already." I demanded to my broken Father.