Prologue.

At the North Pole the head elf was looking at the counter that stood over them all and was thinking about it.
"What's wrong?" Santa questioned as he came up next to said elf.
"The counter."
"What about it?"
"It's special. In 17 years we are to meet a very important person. Many think they are a myth, but this counter stated other wise."
"17 is pretty soon."
"So it seems." He told before moving on to keep everyone else in check so they didn't fall behind.

As time moved on, so did the counter. Each day that past, the counter got closer to 0. Bets started to go around on what would happen when the counter hit that number. Of course that number was a days away for them all to find out what would happen.

"It's almost time." Santa told as he joined next to the head elf once again and the two looked towards the counter.
"So it seems." He stated, repeating what he said long ago.
"What happens when it hits zero?"
"Not sure. It's never happened before. Everything is going to change however."
"How so?"
"It's hard to explain. Besides, we don't have long till you need to go up into the sky and do what you do best." He told before going to head off only for the counter to chime.
Everyone in the factory turned to look towards the counter in shock. The head elf of course rushed back around and gripped the railing as he looked at the counter.
"It chimed." Santa told, not being able to think of anything else to say.
"It's never done that before." He informed him.
They all stared in shock not sure what they were seeing was in fact the truth of it. The counter was now only showing the hours, minutes and the second counter quickly spinning away. Unknown to them all, Christmas this year was going to be a unique one after all.