Chapter 38

Jolie spotted the white-haired woman and her companion walking down the street. She clicked her tongue, Sam coming over and peering through his goggles.

"That's her."

He handed Jolie the binoculars.

"Wonder where she's going?"

"I heard she can't be killed--that's what that one guy said."

"Who?"

"You know: the one we captured and murdered."

Jolie winced, reaching up and touching the red X imprinted on her forehead. Sometimes she'd wake up at night and it would hurt.

"C'mon."

They came to the edge of the roof and fell. Jolie grasped a strand of wires, winding her way back down to the street.

A multitude of green lights shimmered against the backdrop of an apartment complex.

"I think I see something," Sam whispered.

It was large whatever it was, completely black save for the twin-blue eyes that hung lazily in the air as the creature wandered, floating around, its mandibles ticking as it burrowed further into the city. For a horrifying second Jolie thought the thing had found them, then it drifted away, its legs continuing to sunder both metal and soil.

"Been seeing more of them," Sam said, shaking his head. "Coming out of the woodworks."

"They're machines. They can be turned off."

They made their way to a building. Red Xs were painted along the walls.

They entered. Not a sound. Light was plentiful here, though it was dipped in dark blue. Then: more lights, and coming out of the building was Cynthia, George, Hearth, and others of their scattered congregation.

"You're back," Cynthia said with a smile, though it did not last. "What did you find?"

"That girl." Jolie shrugged.

"And?"

"Seemed pretty normal to me."

"We didn't get a good look," Sam reminded her.

"Also..."

Jolie coughed. "We saw one of those machines again, like the one who took out Theo and the others."

Cynthia blanched. George frowned.

"We're going to have to fight those things," George said. "Eventually. I'd bet good money they're government."

Cynthia nodded. "You guys tired?"

Sam shook his head.

"What do you need?" asked Jolie.

"Try and find it. I'm sorry. I don't want to do this to you, but we need to find out where those things are coming from. Don't do anything stupid; whatever you can do to help."

"We'll go now," Jolie said, nodding at Sam.

They went further into the building, coming into a hallway with many doors on each side. Sam leaned into one of them, letting Jolie in first.

Guns, boxes with pipe bombs--everything lit by a single fluorescent light.

Sam tossed her an emitter. The thing chirped, reading Jolie's body and then settling into its chassis.

"Ready?" Sam asked.

"Ready."

As they were leaving, Hearth appeared and waved them over.