five

Nigel would like to believe he'd arrived at the perfect solution. His parents didn't seem to plan on looking at him in a fraction of the light they used to view Saxon anytime soon. Rather than bring his mood down dwelling on what he could do to change that, he'd rather document the happenings in his life that'd elevate his mood. With that resolve in mind, he picked up his pen.

11/07/2017

Alfie's still as much a slacker as always. Sometimes I worry if he'd actually end up graduating with us. An even deeper cause of my worry would be Aries. He's sporting a bruise every other day of the week.

Cassie's probably the only one in our quad that I don't always have to worry about. Things seemed to be looking better for her back home, perhaps the reason she could turn back to looking for a love life, going the extent of propositioning me again.

I wouldn't. There was Hayley. I hadn't wanted to confess my feelings despite her being in close reach. Perhaps I didn't want to destroy my deep-rooted fantasy of deluding myself so long as there was no rejection. Two things had spurred me on after my drunk mistaken confession Saturday night.

First was her reaching out. Second could more or less be attributed to the new student's presence. I'd been somewhat jealous seeing them together and Aries' speculation had only made me feel panic. Prior to that, I'd seen her as a pristine, untouchable flower, keeping my distance for fear of sullying her.

However, after today and feeling firsthand at lunch the easy atmosphere that existed between us, I'd decided that any thought of ruining things be damned. Why should I be worried about sullying anything when some outsider probably wasn't?

Nigel leaned back in his chair, a smile curling his lips as he flipped his pen between his fingers. He suddenly felt his stomach doing flips and shut his journal, shoving it aside when his door suddenly slipped open with a click. He turned slightly, even more annoyed on seeing Saxon poking his head between the small gap he'd created. "Can't you knock?" he huffed, pulling open his desk drawer and putting his journal away.

"Sorry," Saxon squeezed out. "Do you have a minute?"

"No," Nigel said, picking up a random piece of paper and toying with it.

"Can I come in?" he asked.

"I'm hearing you eitherways," Nigel said, folding one wing out and then the other. There was prolonged silence but he didn't mind it, finishing up his paper plane and holding it up under his light. His door creaked slightly and he glanced back to see Saxon still stood there.

"Nigel," he called, tone lapsing on a sigh. "Can't we talk about it?"

"What about?" Nigel frowned, tossing the plane aside and then cutting up a few more papers that he divided further and started folding up into medium-sized triangles.

"What did I do?" he asked. "Why are you even mad?"

"I'm not," Nigel hadn't been. Not really. He'd simply resolved to keep his brotherhood and love life apart. Better for his heart that way.

"Do you mean that?" Saxon pressed.

Nigel didn't respond, piecing together the triangles that had more or less been constructed into little ship sails until he held the final product– a head crown in his hand.

"Then, do you want to watch a movie with?" Saxon probed, heart dropping when Nigel just shot him a short glance he couldn't begin deciphering all the way from the doorway before turning and hanging his crown on his desk lamp. "Nigel–"

"Sure, let's," Nigel stood to follow him down to the living room.

"Do you want to pick the movie?" Saxon asked, showing him all three options.