seven

"You really don't have to stay if you don't want to," Saxon rolled his eyes despite the ache he felt behind them. He couldn't really help it. Nigel had already asked him how much better he was feeling twice in every minute that had gone by in the past half hour. He could tell when it wasn't just plain concern anymore. He didn't task or force him to stay anyway. "I'm fine. Really."

Nigel didn't even waste a second, grabbing his cell phone off the side desk and leaving. Aries had already stopped by minutes ago to drop off his notes and pick up his car so this was more or less his only option. He slid open his cell phone once he was seated in the subway.

Hayley 🍬💛
Hey. You good? Are we still on?
Received. 16:04 pm

-N-
Of course. Should I come to yours?
Received. 16:37 pm

Hayley 🍬💛
Isn't that a long way off? Let's just meet there. Rico's, right?
Received. 16:39 pm

-N-
Right.
Received. 16:39 pm

Nigel tucked his phone back away, a slight smile softening his features. He started in the direction of the pizza palace, smile stiffening and then gradually vanishing when he pulled out his ringing cell and saw the flashing ID.

"Mom?" he called out, somewhat confused.

"What the hell did you do?" she asked, Nigel's lips pursing tighter when she just went on. Of course, it had been rhetorical. "It was just one thing, Nigel. All you had to do was get him some food, make sure he took his drugs and rested."

"I did," Nigel edged in weakly.

"Right," her tone soon creeped along the fringes of sarcasm. "Your ever pristine, careful care just landed him in the hospital. Out of the blue. Just fucking great."

Nigel didn't think that had much to do with him. He was positive Saxon would have gotten better. . . so long as he was simply resting. He kept mum, sure he'd only attract a longer tirade if he tried to defend himself.

". . . Just come to New Valley," she finally ended with.

Nigel felt his face turn green. He couldn't. Hayley was. . . Of course, he didn't even really dare to voice that out and could only open his chat interface with her despite how sick he felt to his stomach.

-N-
Can we cancel?
Received. 17:09 pm

Hayley 🍬💛
Sure.
Received. 17:09 pm

Nigel felt his throat bob as he started typing again only to sigh and just retract the message before shoving his cell phone in his pocket, gaze tingling sharply as he hailed a taxi to New Valley Hospital.

"What the hell did you give him to eat?" were the words that greeted him as soon as he made his way to the ward room he'd been texted, damp from the nonstop drizzle. "Food poisoning? Of course, I should have known better."

"He wanted noodles," Nigel defended.

"So?" she frowned, eyes filled with too many averse reactions he didn't want to stress himself trying to recognize.

"I got him that instead of the food I bought," Nigel pointed out plainly. "You should blame his preferences. That caused him food poisoning. Not me."

"Did you buy the noodles?" she asked, lip curling.

Nigel was speechless and didn't rebut anymore, merely leaning against the far wall and watching his unconscious twin. Food poisoning, huh? Guess that was reason enough any kitchen was off limits to him.