thirteen

"What's this?" Cassandra's voice was light and fleeting with her teasing as she observed her blushing friend. "I'd prepared a multitude of reasons to convince you. But you're actually going?"

"Just–" Hayley paused, darting her tongue out to wet her dry lips, cheeks tinting harder at the reason she had been convinced in the first place. "Just thought it'd be a good change."

"No way," Cassandra snorted as she watched her debate between two hangered options, holding it in front of her as she paraded in front of the mirror. "Don't you hate change the most? It can't be that you're going because of someone?"

There was no mistaking Hayley's flushing to resemble a firetruck now.

"No. Way!" Cassandra was as boggled as she sounded, eyes widening as she looked over her friend again as though she was just seeing her for the first time. "Since when? Who's the lucky guy? He's hot, isn't he? How could you hold out on me with this kind of information?!"

Hayley didn't understand how she could turn any redder than she already was, feeling her cheeks were one step away from dripping blood, as she answered those questions in her own mind.

It'd been going on since forever. It was Nigel. Yes, your ex who you're definitely still in love with. You both speak of friendship but you're not really fooling anyone. Yes, he's hotter than anyone she'd ever met but she'd rather die before being able to say it to Cassandra's face.

"Fine. Keep your secrets," she said at how flustered she was to even speak. "Go with the leather top and skirt. It's cute and sure to bag whichever hot dude you've taken a fancy to."

Hayley blinked before tossing the body con aside and holding only Cassandra's choice which looked even hotter the more she looked at it. "Thanks, Cas," she said, beam on.

"Sure." Another snort. "Good luck. Hope you get some!"

And now her neck was flushing in addition to her face. She sighed on hearing a bang as Cassandra stepped out to go get ready in the bathroom in the bedroom adjacent, sure she wouldn't be so supportive if she knew who exactly it was she fancied.

They were currently getting ready in her own house and as she stood under her pouring shower, she couldn't help thinking of what the night would have in store for her and Nigel. Booze was, after all, a great booster of relationships, was it not?

Smiling happily to herself, she dried up before stepping out wrapped in a bathrobe, a bit taken aback to see her friend already dressed and putting the finishing touches to her makeup. "That was quick," she remarked. "You look hot." She did, look insanely hot, that is. She had on a simple black body con with a plunging neckline that revealed a fair amount of cleavage, an open back that showed a wide expanse of hers and stopped just short of her thighs.

"Thanks," she beamed before bounding over to pull Hayley into the spot spot she'd just been occupying on the bed next to which she'd laid out the contents of her makeup kit. "I've got to, you know? Come on, I'll do your makeup. Just this once, you can look hotter than me."

Hayley would have rolled her eyes at her crippling narcissism if she wasn't so fixated on her previous sentence. "You've got to?" she posed, curiosity getting the better of her. "Seeing someone already?"

"'course not," she said, almost looking offended at the notion. "Aries somehow convinced Nigel into going. Got to make the effort if I want to get him back to my side, no?"

"Of. . ." Hayley tried to pull her lips in an easy smile but only had the curve of her lip wobbling. She suddenly felt sick to her stomach. And it wasn't the overload of fries her friend had forced her to eat with. "Of course."