nine

18/07/17

No expectations were good. In fact, no expectations were great. He didn't have to delude himself into thinking that there was actually someone breathing down his neck to do better, live better. When in fact, it was all just his own wishful thinking.

Once that film had cleared from his eyes, he saw there was more he could be poring himself over instead of pining for affection that wouldn't come to him no matter what he did. Like, finding a way to win over Hayley's heart. Things couldn't be better between them, with him going over to hers to fix things and having a short while with her to himself.

However, in all honesty, he was greedy for more. Well, he was only human and having tasted the sweet feeling of being around the one he liked, he only wanted more. He just needed to think of a way to properly win her heart and if things went well, he'd just ask her out.

Just, what would be the best way to even go about that? Maybe he could ask—

"Dammit!" Nigel couldn't help cursing under his breath when his door suddenly flew open, knocking the short table behind it with a bang. He quickly put the book into his drawer before glancing back to his doorway where Saxon was standing with an apologetic expression. "Do you mind?"

"Sorry," he said before making his way in. "Are you ready yet? Do you want to catch a ride? Mom and dad are just on their way to the office."

They were willing to let him tag along? Nigel was more likely to believe that hell had frozen over. So, thanks but no thanks. He'd probably be discomfited to death.

"Nevermind," Nigel said. He could just take the subway or walk. Anything was better than subjecting himself to that.

"Are you sure?" Saxon pressed, only a few meters away from Nigel who was now shoving some of his notes into his bag.

"Quite," his tone was curt in response. To be honest, after his whole sick 'episode', Nigel was even less exercising of patience and restraint when it came to dealing with his twin. It was hardly his fault but Nigel found it hard to look straight at his face without getting annoyed.

"Oh," Saxon said and there was a long pause. In fact, if he was asked, he still wasn't sure what had compelled him into asking and thinking his twin would agree. "Well, do you mind breakfast? Pancakes and. . ."

Nigel toned him out. In fact, from the moment he opened his mouth to ask his opinion, his appetite had simply flown away at the thought of having to sit with his family. They were anything but.

"I'm late," he said and went ahead, mechanically greeting his parents as he passed through the living room and grabbing a protein shake on his way out.

Saxon had followed him out and now watched him leave, expression vacant as he wondered when his family had suddenly become like this.

"Didn't get breakfast this morning?" Alfie asked, lip arching in amusement and softening his already gentle features even more as he offered more of his mom's carefully made sandwiches to his starving friend.

Nigel happily helped himself. He'd thought he could hold on till break at least but soon collapsed as soon as he got to his seat, looking upon Alfie like he was a shimmering gold brick when he offered his sandwiches. He'd happily dug in, ignoring Aries' snicker and Glenn's curious stare as he downed it with his protein shake.

"That's enough," Nigel protested when Aries suddenly pulled him up but upon remembering Coach indeed wanted to see them before the start of school, quietly grabbed one more sandwich and strode over to keep up with his friend.