twelve

"Are you coming to Gabe's tomorrow night?" Aries asked once Cassandra had left having taken Glenn up on his offer to drop her off after school, their lips collectively twitching at the sight. She was still going hard on that objective and would not be deterred. Neither of them in their friend group saw a happy ending in sight but kept that little observation to themselves lest they invite trouble from her.

"What's happening at Gabe's?" Nigel asked, looking every bit as clueless as he felt.

"He's holding a party," Aries said, matter-of-fact. "How do you not even know? It's all over the group chat."

"I'll pass," Nigel snorted in response.

Aries narrowed his eyes but ultimately refrained from speaking at the sight of Hayley bounding down the steps and approaching them and on account of Alfie still patiently waiting for him. "Let's talk when you return," he said, greeting Hayley with a smile before turning to drag Alfie off.

It's been days since he'd been back home. Ever since Aries called out to him to come find him, he hadn't gone back and had just been going to school from Alfie's. He wouldn't have noticed it if not but the little break away from everything that had to do with his own house was good for him.

Maybe, too good even. While some part of him missed the house, however dreary, and another part was curious how his family was doing, if his parents had even noticed his absence, nothing was so strong it made him actually want to go back to confirm.

"Hey," Hayley's cheery voice had him snapping out of his musings and smiling down at her.

"Hey."

Her cheeks burned in the way that just left her looking all the more endearing to him. "Don't you go back with Alf and Aries now?" she wondered.

"I want to go pick up my motorcycle," he explained, his eyes lighting up as a thought struck him and refused to be abolished until he voiced it no matter what. "Do you want to come along? It's just a few minutes walk from here and I can give you a ride back to yours."

Hayley stared deep into his mesmerizing eyes, obscured only by the overgrown wavy locks of brown, face tinting as she was drawn in deeper.

"No?" Nigel probed, trying not to look like he was deflating just how he was on the inside.

"No," she replied and then seemed to come out of it, shaking her head slightly to gain better clarity. He was really messing with her head now. "I mean yeah, sure." When his eyes lit up, she smiled and began following after him, clicking her tongue lightly. At this point they weren't really fooling anyone and might as well just get together already. If only she had as much resolve as she did in the alternate reality where they were already together due to her fervent, dogged chasing.

It was a short walk to his friend, Theo's mechanic shop. He hadn't been trying to merely convince her when he'd said that. The walk had been filled with talk of his motorcycle and what had spurred him into getting one in the first place.

It'd been his parents. And their never dwindling bias, of course.

"Was beginning to think you didn't want it anymore," Theo said after Nigel had settled him and he brought the bike out to him, sending a jovial smile Hayley's way after Nigel's introduction.

"Not a chance in hell," he said, getting up on his bike smoothly and turning a winsome smile on Hayley who was putting on the helmet he'd relinquished over but hardly ever wore if he was being honest. "Come on, Hayley."

Hayley blushed but accepted his outstretched hand and got up on the bike behind him. He was really her every teenage fantasy at this point. All that left to top it off was him in a leather jacket. She berated herself as she put her arms around him, her forehead falling against his back with a soft thump. At this rate, she was going to send herself nosebleeding.