Chapter 30

MJ had followed the others quickly across the yard. Soap explained that they had gotten in through a tunnel, the one they had watched them bring Simon in through a few days prior, and had quietly taken out everyone they could inside while the guards at the gate were still a threat.

They stood just inside the door to the base and waited for Simon to join them.

"I never meant to leave you down there, lass." John gripped the front of his rucksack with both hands, his big blue eyes sincere. "I got knocked in the head on the way. Price found me as they drove off with you and we followed. Figured Ghost must be in the convoy somewhere."

"I knew you didn't leave me on purpose." She smiled at him. Her adrenaline was making her head pound. The run had been short but enough to remind her how beat down she was. "I knew something must have happened to you."

He nodded as Simon stepped through the door where they stood.

"Were you seen?" Price asked.

He came to stand next to MJ, the gun still in his hand. "No. Where to?"

Price motioned for them to follow. The halls they took were eerily quiet, but it would only be a matter of time before someone figured out something wasn't right. They went down a flight of stairs and waited at the bottom. Price radioed someone, asking if they had secured the package.

Mariana looked up at Simon who was looking questioningly at Soap.

"Ninety second eta." Came the answer.

"Reina."

Simon shifted closer to MJ but let her stand on her own. So they would be taking the sister back with them, too. Good. MJ turned to face him, making their few seconds of waiting private.

"Where's Halcon?" She asked even though she already knew.

"Don't worry about him anymore." He planned to leave it at that, but his anger seeped through anyway. "If we had longer, I'd still be down there. He got the easy way out."

She heard cold regret in his voice, disappointment, that he couldn't give back to him all that the man had done.

"But he won't hurt anyone else now."

"Never."

It wasn't a time for affection, and she didn't really know where they would go from there, but she placed a cold hand on his cheek. "Thank you."

She owed him her life so many times over. She owed him more than she could ever give. And she felt relief knowing the falcon was in hell where he belonged.

The others showed up as planned, a woman with a cloth sack over her head held between them. She was silent and dark curiosity ate at Mariana. She wanted to know if they looked alike, if she looked like a queen. She seemed pretty defeated at the moment.

They entered a tunnel and shut the door behind them. As they made their way, MJ following Soap and Simon at her back, Price gave them the rundown.

"We abandoned our base, that's why it took us so long to get back down here."

"Abandoned? Why?" Simon asked over her head.

"Our location was compromised and we needed extra hands. It's a joint operation now so it made sense. We'll be up in Mexico City. There's a plane waiting, with an arrest warrant on a silver platter."

That meant she would likely have a way out now. With the US involved, they could find her a safe place until this was over. While Simon had expected the relief that hit him, the twinge of sadness surprised him. He had spent the night with her on his chest and something in him had concocted a future where he got to do that again and again and again. But his mind just did that sometimes, gave him hope for something when he had no foundation to stand on. So they had spent a few weeks together, they had shared a near death experience. He had saved her life, now twice. And he supposed he always would, if given the chance. That didn't mean there was a future for him that she would be in. The hope that there could be just felt like another scar on his body, something he preferred not to look at.