Chapter 39

Simon didn't like the smaller room as much, or the smaller bed. He decided he'd need to find a way to convince her to sleep in his room instead, if she didn't push him away completely for coming in uninvited. She seemed comfortable enough, finally relaxing under the blanket and his arm, her breathing evening out.

He had almost lost her. The thought came to him every time his mind slowed down enough to forget what was coming. His nightmares still held her, often, but the old ones were coming back too. And new ones, where the world bent and they never escaped the desert. Where there were snipers outside their city windows and they would never be safe together.

As much as he had told himself that he got out of bed and knocked on the door to check on her, to comfort her, it had been selfish. They had fallen in step so easily on that base, it had been comfortable, and when they were finally back together after he let them take her, it had felt like fate. But real life broke the illusion, ruined the magic. He didn't expect that being locked up together without death looming would be entirely enjoyable for either of them. But she fit so perfectly against his tired body. It had been a long day. A long few weeks. He knew she was asleep so he pulled her closer.

Mariana woke hours later, her back still pressed against Simon. Her eyes fluttered open, taking in the room around her. She was confused for a second before remembering the night before. The car, the two guards, him entering her room. She should have just followed him to bed. She should have known she wouldn't sleep alone in that room, and that he would hear her feet no matter how hard she tried to keep quiet.

She was back. Back in the real world. She had escaped Halcon, thanks to the man beside her, but she hadn't escaped all of it just yet. And maybe she never would. She still planned to carry out what she had started. What her father had started. But for now, she needed to relax. Let herself recover. And she wasn't home free. There was an expedited trial coming in which she would undoubtedly be called as a witness. So, like before, she needed to hold every single detail in stark relief, file it away perfectly for when it was needed. And try to learn how to live again while she did that. For now, it was a relief that she wasn't able to leave the apartment. She was overwhelmed.

She shifted closer to Simon, pressing into him. He shifted too, waking. She could feel him, hard against her lower back and heat pooled in her own abdomen. They were both perfectly still, the sound of their breathing loud in the dark room. He couldn't help that his body wanted her as much as he did, but he wasn't going to make her think he expected anything, either. All he expected was for her to get the rest she had been begging for. Some peace and quiet.

He sat up, and she rolled onto her back to watch him.

"You don't have to leave." She said. Her sleepy voice almost made him agree.

"I'll be back, alright?"

He walked out the door, taking stock of the apartment in early morning light. Nothing looked out of place. He felt they were safe there because he could guard a small space easily and the city was familiar to him. And because there was a gun tucked into the waistband of his pants.

He went into his bathroom and splashed cold water on his face, forcing everything back under control. It was still early, they hadn't been there long. He could lie back down with her for a bit before starting his day. They would both need routine, but not one that negated slowing down for a minute. And he was working, 24/7, it was still his mission. And it was just that. His. So he could handle it however he needed to. However he wanted to.

It was new for him, to think about someone else with every action. And not because he had to, not that she needed him. Because he hoped she would stay. He wanted her there. She could protect herself, or find safety elsewhere. He knew she knew that, she must feel safe. She must want to be there. He would hold onto that as long as he could.