Chapter 12

Chapter 12

***Five Years Later***

Sitting out on the back deck, Jaz has her youngest baby sleeping in her arms and Happy and Rane are in the yard playing with Vic and Maria. I'm sitting in my deck chair rubbing my very pregnant stomach. "Are you okay?" Jaz asks. "I don't know. Something doesn't feel right." I tell her and our dad steps outside and sees me grab my stomach. "Shit." I hiss. Rane looks at me concerned and I wave him off. He picks up Vic and walks over and asks "You okay mama?" I nod and say "Contractions." and he smiles. "Take him and play. I'll let you know when it's time to go." I tell him and he kisses me before taking Vic back to play.

After they play for a bit, Happy has the kids while Rane is getting Vic an overnight bag together. "You wanna spend the night with Uncle Hap and Maria, little dude?" I ask and Vic jumps up and down and so does Maria. "Yeah mommy." he cheers. My dad helps me stand up and my water breaks. "Mommy no. Daddy!!" he yells and he's scared. Rane picks him up and he says "Mommy's hurt." and he's crying. "No buddy. Mommy's not hurt. Mommy's water broke. Your sister is going to be born tonight." he says and Vic calms down. "Mommy's okay?" he asks. He brings him to me and I say "Mommy's okay baby. But you're gonna stay with Maria and play at her house okay?" I ask and he nods and kisses my cheek. "Love you mama." he says. "Love you baby." I say before Rane hands Vic to Happy and we head to the hospital.

Nineteen hours later, we are in our hospital room holding Gracelynn Jane, nursing her. "She's perfect." Rane says. "She is. I can't believe she's finally here. Bedrest was getting to be a bit much." I tell him. "But she's here and healthy." he says and I nod. He tilts my chin up and says "I love you mama." I smile and say "I love you too daddy."

The next morning, Happy, Jaz and our dad come in with Maria and Vic, with Jaz holding little Leo. Rane puts Vic on the bed and he crawls over to me. "Hey mama." he says before hugging me gently. "Hey baby. Wanna meet your sister?" I ask and he nods. I move the blanket where she was nursing and he rubs the top of her head softly. "Meet Gracelynn Jane." I say and he kisses the top of her head and says "Gracie." and I smile. "You wanna call her Gracie?" Rane asks and he nods. "Well, then we'll call her Gracie." I say and he smiles wide.

A few days later, we are sitting at home and relaxing with both kids. Vic is on the floor playing with his legos while Gracie is sleeping. Her pacifier falls and she starts to fuss but Vic picks it up and puts it back in her mouth and starts lightly rocking her swing and she goes back to sleep. I look at Rane and he's just smiling, watching our babies.