03. female warrior

03; female warrior

The atmosphere back in the base the next day was horrible. The Colonel was mad, the senators were bitching about the lack of security but the one thing that people could feel the most was Steve's sadness. Everyone had a new outlook on him, people either saw him as a medical marvel or a lab rat gone wrong. Evelyn felt pity for him, all he wanted to do was serve his country, and this was what he got dealt with. A shitty hand that was supposed to help him.

So, she waited with him as a nurse took more of his blood. She waited as he sat there, stewing in his own anger. She sat on the desk nearest the window, keeping both eyes on the super soldier and Howard dissecting the submarine Steve had so lovingly broken. She chewed on the inside of her cheek. "Think you got enough?" Steve grumbled, walking towards her.

"I don't think so," she admitted truthfully. "You're the key to getting Erskine's serum recreated. But without the man himself, blood might not cut it."

Steve sighed, gaze locked onto the scene below. "He deserved more than this."

"Yes, but sometimes the universe doesn't care." she could see the war inside his head as he struggled to come to terms with all of this. Her hand twitched, her body wanting to comfort Steve the only way she knew how. Physical contact was the only way she let people know that she was there for them. When her father died, the only person she really had to comfort was her mother and at most times she was inconsolable so all she could do was hug her and pour every once of love into it. "If it could work only once, he'd be proud it was you."

The side of his lips quirked upwards. "Thanks."

She took a deep breath, trying to lighten the mood in the room. "Hey, I just want to apologise for my stupid behaviour back when you became...." she gestured at him. "Taller. I was out of line saying that you were handsome just because of the serum."

"Don't mention it." he waved her off, although he was happy that she was saying this. Most of the nurses who had even batted an eyelash at him before the serum were now practically falling over each other to talk to him.

The agent grinned, glad he forgave her. "That being said," she continued as she walked out the room. "I did say you were always handsome, didn't I?" Evelyn smirked, knowing full well that he was hot on her tail. She wasn't always so obvious when she flirted, but when she did, she made sure she left her mark.

Meanwhile, down at the submarine the Colonel and Senator Brandt were having a bit of a tiff. "Colonel Phillips, my committee is demanding answers."

"Great. Why don't we start with how a German spy got a ride to my secret installation in your car?" he snapped. When the senator failed to elicit a response, the Colonel turned to Howard. "What do we got here?"

Howard was in defeat. "Well, speaking modestly, I'm the best mechanical engineer in this country. But I don't know what's inside this thing or how it works. We're not even close to this technology."

"Then who is?"

Phillips answered calm and cooly. "Hydra. I'm sure you've been reading our briefings."

Brandt laughed snidely. "I'm on a number of committees, Colonel."

Peggy appeared from discussing files with a soldier, meeting Evelyn and Steve in the middle of the room. "Hydra is the Nazi deep-science division. It's led by Johann Schmidt. But he has much bigger ambitions."

"Hydra is practically a cult." Evelyn piped up. "They worship him. They think he's invincible. Something tells me they didn't come up that notion on their own."

"So what are you gonna do about it?" Senator Brandt demanded.

Phillips turned to him. "Spoke to the president this morning. As of today, the SSR is being retasked."