08. through their fingers

08; through their fingers

italics are flashbacks!

-

They had been informed that Dr. Zola was on the move near the Alps, and they would be damned if they didn't give him hell. Evelyn seemed to be the most determined to get this mission and to capture Zola. He was the man of her nightmares the first few nights she had the serum in her body, but now she was going to become his nightmare.

While Gabe was manning a german transmission radio, Steve, Evelyn and Bucky were looking out on the train tracks. "Remember when I made you ride the Cyclone at Coney Island?" Bucky asked.

Steve nodded. "Yeah, and I threw up."

The sides of Evelyn's mouth perked up at that. "This isn't payback, is it?"

"Now, why would I do that?" Steve smirked at Evelyn who tried to keep her laughter at bay.

"We were right. Dr. Zola's on the train." they turned to Gabe. "Hydra dispatcher gave him permission to open up the throttle. Wherever he's going, they must need him bad."

Falsworth checked his binoculars, sure enough the train was moving fast. "Then let's get going because they're moving like the devil."

Steve grabbed one of the rungs and connected it to the zip line. "We only got about a ten-second window! You miss that window, we're bugs on a windshield!"

Evelyn grimaced at the image. "Bit of a gap." she warned.

"Better get moving bugs!" Dugan called out.

Dernier watched as the train came into view and then called out for Steve to go, then Bucky, then herself. They all landed on the same train car and entered. With hands out, she scanned the area of her train car, Bucky stayed by her side while Steve walked into another. But Evelyn sensed something was wrong, it was too quiet.

Suddenly there was a sound of a door closing, both Bucky and herself whipped around to see they were cut off from Steve, who was desperately trying to get the door open. Evelyn made a move to help him but on the other side of the car she heard a gun whirr to life. Her eyes widened, her face contorting to fear almost as she took cover behind a crate on one side, Bucky on the other.

Steve stood helplessly as he witnessed his two best friends fighting for their lives. Bucky shot at the heavily armoured man while Evelyn flicked her wrist, blue light erupting from her hands in the hopes of hitting him. He knew they wouldn't last long, Bucky was running low on ammo while using her powers took a lot out of Evelyn. Large bolts of Hydra energy left the gun, larger than any bolt Evelyn could conjure up. Steve bashed at the door, looking on as Bucky ran out of ammo and Evelyn slumped down against the bunker, sweat shining off her skin. Once he got it open he sneakily signalled Bucky to be ready to catch the ammo he was about to throw.

In a matter of seconds, the ammo was caught by Bucky who then shot at the guy again. He moved, giving Evelyn the opportunity to hit the cargo forward, hitting him and knocking him out.

Steve ran in, Bucky by his side. "I had him on the ropes."

"I know you did."

The three didn't have much time to revel in their success for much longer. Another Hydra soldier had come up behind them, catching them off guard. The gun took a moment to charge, giving Steve enough time to block the blast with his shield. The bolt of energy deflected off the shield, knocking Steve and Evelyn into the wall while Bucky was just knocked to the ground. The energy had hit the other wall of the train, blowing a hole and exposing them all to the harsh weather conditions and a 200 foot drop.