in another life - [ au ]

In another life, Evelyn Mason lived out her life without Steve Rogers.

In this life she woke 68 years earlier, in much the same way. An agent came in, claiming that Peggy and Howard would be there in a moment, but this time they actually did walk through the door and not Nick Fury revealing she'd been asleep far too long. Peggy was all tears, ordering her friend to never leave her side again. Howard sighed at her, saying, "You really scared us this time, Evie."

She asked about Steve. All she was met with was awkward silence, then a solemn shake of Peggy's head that confirmed that they still hadn't found him, probably never would.

For weeks the press were hounding her. Constantly trying to get the next big story, although there was no story to tell. It wasn't like she went to Wonderland while in her coma. The SSR helped her to seclude herself until the media attention died down. Peggy was like her guard dog, never leaving her side and pointing her gun at who ever even looked at her crookedly.

As to be expected, Evelyn wasn't herself for a generous amount of time. She locked herself off from the world, put up walls Peggy and Howard were the only ones who could break them. She would wake most nights either screaming or crying, sometimes both. The doctors called it shock, Evelyn wanted to spit in their faces, they had no idea what it felt like. The nightmares were nothing like she had experienced while being with Dr. Zola.

Returning to work was harder than she thought. Yes, she got a heroes treatment, with the whole of the New York division standing up and clapping for her. She smiled, playing the humble card because she really did not want the attention. Peggy hugged her, whispering. "At any moment, if you feel overwhelmed, do not hesitate to look for me." Evelyn hugged her tighter, a little more ready to fight this head on.

Although she was a lieutenant, she was still a woman, Chief Dooley informed her harshly. "Now, as much as I commemorate what you did for this country, I want to make one thing clear. That," he gestured to her hands, "that thing you got going on in your bloodstream, you need to put a cap on that. I'm not having my SSR blowing to smithereens all because someone pissed you off, you got that?"

"Loud and clear, chief." she couldn't help but feel like he should be taking orders from her, considering her rank was higher than his. But then again, she was a hazard. A hazard with powers she could barely control and a mind slowly slipping away. As much as she appreciated Peggy and Howard's help(Howard was being extra nice and leant her one of his houses), she wished Steve was here, she knew he would have understood her better.

When she got to her desk, it was the first time she actually got to see who she was working with. Mostly men, the women were working the phones. Evelyn knew the only reason she was here was because of her glowing eyes and energy that could vaporise someone. Otherwise she would either be working the phones or stuck in a lap being poked and prodded like a lab rat.

Eventually she found the swing of things after a few months. Most of the men were quite nice to her, knowing her rank and her unhinged temper that was growing as of late. But of course, she was bound to get a few pigs. Agent Jack Thompson was her number one douchebag. She actually thought he was quite the looker, until he opened his mouth that is.

"You've got yourself fooled, Mason." he muttered to her when he got her alone. "I saw you're record before the war. You just got lucky. It's time you start thinking that maybe your title should be given to someone more deserving."

He came to work the next day with a black eye and a tooth missing. He didn't report it, she knew he wouldn't. What kind of man with an ego that big would admit to a woman kicking his ass?

The year went by and Evelyn could finally say she was fine. The nightmares had subsided, she was slowly but surely regaining control of her powers and she had made peace with the fact that Steve was dead, that he was never going to pop back into her life with his dumb smile and awkward nature that proved he was still awful with women. She'd moved on.

Frankly, she shouldn't noticed how when the guy with the desk in front of her flirted with her she smiled the brightest she'd smiled in the year gone by. She should've noticed how when another agent would make a sexist remark, he would demand they apologise and she welcomed it rather than told him to piss off, like she usually did when men around her wanted to play the hero.

He treated her with respect. Not just as a Lieutenant, but as a person. And when she had her bad days(like the day she had punched a hole through the wall, we won't get into that just yet), he wouldn't ignore her, or tell her she was overreacting, he would make her talk to him about him.

And Peggy noticed too. The wicked little smirks she would cast their way whenever they talked. The casual slipping each other's names into conversations with both parties. She cursed herself that she didn't put money on it when he asked her out for a drink and she said yes. Evelyn hates to admit when people are right, but she no trouble saying it then.

Their first date turned into two, then five, and suddenly Evelyn realised this is what a relationship was. Yes, she had a few moments like this with Steve, but nothing this full blown. As much as it frightened her, it excited her knowing she would spend most of her nights being with someone she cared deeply for.

Maybe even loved, but she couldn't bring herself to say that yet.

In time, she spoke those three words and was swept off her feet by her now boyfriend who three years later, proposed to her at their four year anniversary dinner. She said yes almost instantly.

Decades later, after marriage and kids(three of them, Amelia, Henry and Jennifer) came Lieutenant Evelyn Mason's way. She approached a grave most people forgot. The words, "Captain Steven Grant Rogers, a fearless leader and an American Hero" were engraved into the slabs of stone. She smiled at the grave. Although they had never found his body, the government had a grave made in his honour, one she visited often.

"Hello Steve," she whispered. "It's Evelyn again. Just wanted to let you know how my life has been, considering I haven't seen you in a few years at this point." Evelyn sighed, "Life had been good, Amelia just turned eight, we had a party." She hated looking at the grave, it brought back all the pain of when she first woke up. It was an almost awkward encounter, she had nothing to say. "SHIELD is making big progress in Howard and Maria's case. Their son, Tony, he's in our care for the time being until Howard's butler can take him. He's a lovely boy, I think you would've liked him."

"Sometimes, I wonder if you would've liked this. If maybe you would've settled down straight after the war. Part of me thinks you would've," she scoffed. "No of course you would."

"Eve, we're going to be late for the parade, Henry's itching to go." her husband cried from the car.

Evelyn grinned at him. "I'll be over in a moment, I'm sure Henry can wait!" She turned back to the grave. "I just wanted to wish you a happy birthday! I wish I could stay longer but you know, Independence Day and all that." And then she turned on her heel, running back to the car, seemingly forgetting the grave all together.

But you see, no matter what life Evelyn Mason will lead, no matter who she will love or marry, there will always be a place in her heart for Steve Rogers, a man she will always love.

-

Well would you look at that. This kind of came of out nowhere and won't ever happen again! Just something that popped into my mind and to be honest, wouldn't mind turning into a fully fledged Agent Carter book. What do you say, would you read it?

Love you all and I hope you enjoyed this au!