chapter two

❛the aftermath❜

the aftermath

The smell of disinfectant filled your nose as you opened your eyes, your eyelids feeling heavy as it takes you a few times, and your vision slightly blurred. You heard a voice speaking as you stared up at the pristine white ceiling, the distant beeping of a monitor in your ears.

You tried to sit up but your spine ached as if you had been laying for too long. You felt your right hand press against the rough sheets of the hospital bed, a slight numbness coming from your left. You held out your left hand only to realize, there wasn't a hand to hold out.

Your eyebrows furrowed as your eyes widened slightly at the realization, your arm was cut, almost all the way to the shoulder, only a few inches of your upper arm, most of your bicep now gone. You could only stare at the ceiling again, the idea that you lost a whole arm, foreign to you.

You noticed a nurse standing at the bottom of the bed, their mouth moving as you heard a jumble of words before handing you a glass of water. You took the glass in the one hand you had, the nurse tilted the bed up before you could take a sip as you tried to use your other hand to signal you couldn't hear well before realizing that wasn't possible at the moment.

You paused drinking the water as you moved your chapped lips.

"Hearing...it's bad" You spoke, your words trailing off slightly as you noticed your voice sounded deeper than what before. The nurse gave you a small smile as she looked at a clipboard and wrote something before moving to your right side.

"You suffered an unrepairable breakage in your left arm, and busted your eardrum in your left ear, you also fractured your spine, we had to replace it with a metal one." The nurse finished reading off the board as you hummed, your eyes blank, now conscious of what has happened to you.

You felt something click in your mind as you looked at the nurse, your one hand clenching tightly. "mother, is she okay?" You leaned in forward slightly, pain spreading through your back and an anxious feeling crawling up your faux spine. The nurse's lips pursed slightly as you looked into her eyes, noticing nervousness and a hint of pity.

"Would you like for me to inform your father?" The nurse suddenly asked as she avoided the question. You clicked your tongue as you shrugged, finding your eyes looking around the room before settling on a vase of flowers with a note tied next to them.