Chapter 8

Nevermore Clock Tower : Dorm
September, 2021

*****

"I will miss you so much — but you remember that I'm just a call or a text away! It's not that far a drive from the Berkshires to here. Do you have everything you need?" Scarlett spoke a mile a minute in emotional moments like this. Just years prior, when Y/N attended her first Homecoming Dance her mother spoke so fast she ran out of breath and half-collapsed outside of the school, while Y/N was in her short white dress and high heel shoes. 

"I'll be fine, mom," Y/N smiled reassuringly, giving her mother a hug, "I have everything I need, and if I don't, I have a debit card. I'll be fine! I'm at a school, what could possibly happen?"

"You're right, you're right. I'll just miss you is all!" Scarlett hugged her tighter, squeezing her until Y/N could feel a bruise coming on. When she was finally released, her mother have her a quick kiss on the forehead, "You, be good. Keep me updated on everything."

"Will do, mom."

With that, Scarlet left -- her copper hair wiping behind her as she descended the stairs and disappeared down the tower. Y/N walked over to the clock tower window to watch as her mother entered their rented car and drove off, and it became clear to her that, for the first time in her life, she was alone. It didn't feel as freeing as she had imagined it would be.

*****

Y/N's ability to pick a good outfit was seriously impaired by stress, a lack of information, and stress.

She stared at three open dresser drawers and a box of unpacked clothes, wishing she had asked Xavier what exactly he had planned for them. Eventually, she reached for a pair of light wash and straight cut jeans, a tight white tank top, and a cream colored button up shirt, which she left unbuttoned. She then put on cream colored socks, and picked out a pair of cream platform sneakers. She reached over to her jewelry box, which was sitting on the left bookshelf in her room, and picked out three stackable gold necklaces, a few bracelets, and a few rings. After picking out her accessories, she laid them on the table by the door and went to the bathroom, styling her hair and applying a light bit of makeup.

Once she was satisfied with how she looked, she put on the set-aside jewelry, and packed a tote bag with some essentials — wallet, lipstick, perfume, etcetera. She looked at her phone, and was about ten minutes early for Xavier's arrival.

"Fuck it. I'm playing hype music..." Y/N whispered to herself, opening Spotify and selecting her playlist called 'Fitness'. The first song, Fergalicious, began playing and she quietly chanted the words, internalizing the sheer confidence Fergie put into that song. Halfway through the second time she played it (because repeating it was a MUST) she was singing along passionately -- until she was cut off by a knock at the door, prompting her to stop mid "working on my fitness", as she scrambled to shut the music off. She quickly swung the door open, revealing a giggling Xavier, who, upon seeing her, began laughing hysterically. 

"What?!" Y/N said, smiling yet defenseless. 

"Fergie? You listen to Fergie?"

"It's my hype music..." She smiled shyly. She noticed now how nice he looked. His hair was pulled back with a strand hanging freely on the left side of his face. He was wearing a pair of nice, straight cut jeans and a cream-colored crewneck over a a white tee-shirt that poked out from his neckline.