Chapter 7

No sooner had I left the room than I heard a voice greet, "Why, hello there, dearie." Red greets me with a smile. "How wonderful to see you again under more pleasant circumstances."

More pleasant circumstances. Is she kidding me? I almost start laughing, I'm speechless. She really has the gall to say that and show up after what happened? She is ruining my life. I used to be happy, I used to be able to trust. Now I have Delilah dead, right after she confirmed that she knew about the box, and Sabrina hates me, even though she doesn't say it. Why did I have to get that damn box? Why couldn't she pick anyone else to torment? What did I do to deserve this?

"Not going to answer?" I send her what I hope is a look of loathing in response. "Fine. Just thought you would like to be told to turn on the news right now." In a flash she was gone. Great, what terrible news is there now? Did someone die? Or maybe a fire started? I check my phone and go to the news section. There's headline after headline about small changes made, along with a kind of big one. As of right now, Rhode Islanders are citizens of Massachusetts. Wonderful.

More than that however, is that in around half an hour at 11 o'clock an important announcement is going to be broadcast on behalf of the N.L.O. On behalf? Why not just by them? Is Alexander so cowardly he doesn't want to show his face on TV?

Whatever. I go to the living room and turn on the news and put it so it's loud enough to hear from the kitchen. Then, I try to eat my breakfast in peace for once. It's just a simple bowl of cereal so it's not very filling. I end up having two more bowls.

Finally, the TV starts talking about the N.L.O. and I make my way over to the couch.

The video then cut to the studio form wherever the other news anchor was. The bottom introduced the man on screen as 'Mark T.' before the TV started screeching as the message, 'Emergency announcement' flashed at the top. Mark looked serious and grim, as if at a funeral instead of representing the new government of his country.

"Thank you. Now before we continue with the announcement, we would like to take the time to mention that the Connret family, owners of the largest hotel chain in the U.S., has just announced their support and funding of the New Life Organisation." Just great. This is exactly what we need, more money heading towards these guys. Will we ever get a break? "This group funds multiple small businesses, as well as helps spread the necessary tools and resources to help poor communities be self sustainable." Which is great and all, if it weren't for the fact that they, ya know, killed people. "Speaking of which, the grand announcement is that the N.L.O. is now putting into place 10 major changes in the United States, that I suggest you keep track of." I guess they aren't paying Mark much because he sounds robotic and monotone. Or maybe he disagrees with what he's saying. Goodness knows.

"Firstly, the U.S. constitution has been carefully reviewed and deemed to not optimise the happiness of the people, which is why there were so many conflicts in the old government. Worry not- Within the next year a new one will be put into place, in order to keep peace. Remember, this will only help you!" Ha! Are they joking, or crazy, because getting rid of the constitution right off the bat is going to prove impossible! People are going to protest like crazy! These guys will be gone in a week!

"Secondly, only 5 news stations are allowed to stay up, including this one, in order to prevent the spread of misinformation. Same thing applies with newspapers, and tabloids and magazines are now banned." Ah. Now it makes sense. They got rid of the constitution so they can pull things like this. Afterall, limiting the information people can get limits the thoughts people can have. Of course, the pre-existing ideas people have will be hard to erase, but in this way they can control people's knowledge, which is half the battle. My guess is next they'll target weapons?