A Bad day

Just when I thought this morning couldn't get much worse, God decided to make it more worse by adding Juan to it. I was seated in the front seat, clutching my bag, which I had snatched from him while trying to shield my ears from his "just to be safe and best put in the back" nonsense. Everyone knows not to separate my stuff from me, notably my purse. Not to seem dramatic, but I put half my life in there. All secrets and private things that only I have access to. And Juan was not one of them. Even though I had met him before and Leo had evidently entrusted him with my care, it didn't apply to me.

After all, I had to question my brother's reasoning for leaving his younger sister in the care of a boy his younger sister's age. He wasn't even on pace with my brother's previous bodyguards. Even very far, if I may say so. Starting with his appearance, demeanor, and behavior, Juan gave the impression that he was unable to follow the example of a competent bodyguard by keeping his mouth shut.

As it was, he couldn't stop commenting on the weather and other politeness that made me want to scream at him if he couldn't see my frightened expression. I've seen that one of his talents was chit-chatting. He seemed to know just what topics and sentences to say, as if they had never left his mind. His hand on the steering wheel, like his lips, moved smoothly. He didn't go past any traffic lights or signs we passed, although his eyes would sometimes dart over to me as he rambled on about "Ball" and other such crap.

Frankly, I was too weary to care. Especially if he went on and on about how good Leo was at it, as if he was born with it. Such lines were common in my hometown. Everyone couldn't keep their jaws shut and kept asking me about Leo every time they saw me. Knowing Leo was already one of the most famous football players, I couldn't get out of it.

"Juan," I said. My fingers were gently caressing my brows. "Please. Quit flirting about football and Leo."

He ceased nagging. I thank God for it. He looked dumbstruck for some reason, my eyes peeping between my fingers. Silence, as though considering something before saying anything else.

"You're not a fan of football, Miss?" He observed, emphasizing the word ball.

"Wow. I'm impressed your brain can keep up with your mouth." I sighed and rolled my eyes.

Juan gave a small shake of his head. "Miss, if you don't mind. May I ask as to why?"

I let out a frustrated sigh. It seemed we wouldn't stop talking about football, I guess.

"I mind, actually. But, hey, whatever." I adjusted my seating position by stacking one leg on top of the other. "Basically. There's no exaggerated explanation for this. I just don't understand what everyone is so enthusiastic about. They're just guys kicking the ball into the goal, right?"

Juan's jaw was slightly open from the corner of my eye. He was taken aback by this. "Sorry if I sound arrogant, but how come you can't love football? Isn't your brother one of the world's top players?"

I shrugged, trying not to laugh in his tone of disbelief that I didn't think the same way he did about the sport.

"Don't let Leo hear that. His ego would be higher than the clouds in the sky." I mumbled. "And yes, to your second question. Yes, I am aware that I have an older brother who is well-known in the football world. I believe that has had a role in my life, you know? Arabella, Messi's little sister."

"Sorry about that, Miss. I didn't mean it that way." I waved my hand at him, indicating that I was fine with it. "By the way, Miss, have you ever seen Mr. Messi play football at a stadium?"

For a brief minute, I was dumbfounded. Realizing what Juan just said. Of course, I've seen Leo play a few times, but the most of them have been on television. Mamá also forced me to watch it with her, claiming it was our way of "supporting" him. I watched it for a long despite the fact that I rarely said yes. I slept on the couch after seeing Leo shoot the ball on goal once. Yet, to watch the game live.. I've never done it before, as far as I can recall.