[ 010 ] at least it's justice

𝐈 𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐍𝐊 𝐈 𝐋𝐎𝐕𝐄 𝐘𝐎𝐔

chapter ten ; at least it's justice
[ season one, episode ten ]

JAY ENTERED THE BULLPEN the following morning in a cheerful mood

JAY ENTERED THE BULLPEN the following morning in a cheerful mood. Erin and Alvin were the only ones there. "Yo. Did you guys catch the game last night? Eighteen seconds into overtime, Kane scores with a back-hander. The guy's on fire this season."

He took off his jacket and put in on his chair. Alvin and Erin approached him, and they weren't as cheerful as him. They were acting weird. Like something had happened. "What's with you two?"

Hank's office door opened. "Halstead." Jay looked over. The sergeant stood by the doorframe, and the commander was behind him, leaning on the desk. This was very weird.

Jay went into Hank's office and was even more confused when he saw Amy was there. She stood further away with her arms crossed. "Commander," he greeted him. Hank closed the door.

"Halstead," the commander said back. "Have a seat."

Jay glanced between them with his hands on his hips. "I'll stand."

"All right, after shift last night, where were you?"

"Home. Why?" Jay glanced at Hank for a brief moment.

"So, you're telling us you didn't go out at all last night?"

"I'm telling you that I watched the Hawks game, and I was in bed by midnight."

The commander grabbed two photos from the desk. They were from a surveillance camera. He showed the first one. "This was taken last night near Broadview and Cicero. Car's registered to Lonnie Rodiger."

He then showed the second photo. "And that's you, two cars behind him."

Jay tried to make light of the situation. "Okay, so I happened to be driving home behind a pedophile."

Amy stepped forward and spoke up for the first time since Jay walked in. "This isn't funny, Jay. Lonnie was killed last night. He was found this morning at La Follette Park."

Jay's expression faltered. "What?"

"Someone tied a cord around his neck," Hank told him. Jay was shocked by what he was hearing. He turned to the commander.

"So I hope you have a better alibi than watching a hockey game. Alone."

Jay was speechless. He glanced between them, not knowing what to say. "Until this is straightened out, you're officially stripped." Hank held his hand out.