[ 020 ] prison ball

𝐈 𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐍𝐊 𝐈 𝐋𝐎𝐕𝐄 𝐘𝐎𝐔

chapter twenty ; prison ball
[ season two, episode six ]

chapter twenty ; prison ball[ season two, episode six ]

THE STREETS WERE filled with cops and detectives. It was late, but that didn't stop civilians from leaving their homes to see what had happened—another crime scene. Hank, Amy, and Erin approached commander Fischer.

"Commander," Hank greeted him.

They walked with him toward the body. "Victim's name was Mya Watkins," Fischer informed them. "She was a state's witness set to testify in a theft case this week. Shooter walked up, put two in her head, and ran off."

They stood over the body that had been covered. Amy crouched next to the corpse and lifted the cover off, revealing a girl. Her stomach dropped at the sight.

And Erin had the same feeling. She looked at Fischer, her eyes glossy. "How old is she? Ten?" Her voice wavered. Hank was crouching next to the body as well.

Amy dropped the cover— the body was visible. "Yeah," Fischer deadpanned. He turned to Hank, who stood up. "Clear everything off your plate. This is the only case that matters." With that, he walked away.

"Homicide found two 9-mil shell casings next to the body," Jay told Alvin as he made his way over with Antonio. They stood by the cars. "They're on their way to ballistics for analysis now."

"Any witnesses?" Alvin asked.

"Zip," Antonio replied. "This was a message to the neighborhood; don't snitch."

Adam was handing out cards to the civilians— so they could contact him in case they saw something. They didn't have much hope that would work out, though.

"Please come forward. Any information that you give us will be kept completely confidential. That's my number on that card. So you call that number. It'll be me on the other end of the phone."

A woman made her way through the crowd. Her eyes were glossy, and she was distressed. "Ma'am, ma'am," Adam called out to her, but she didn't listen.

She wanted to go to the victim but was stopped by Kevin. "Mya, Mya," she was muttering the girl's name.

Kevin grabbed her. "Ma'am, I can't let you do that."

"No, Mya!" The woman cried out as she tried to get away from Kevin.

He didn't want her to see her daughter like that. "I can't let you do that, ma'am," Kevin kept repeating to her.