Chapter 47

"How did you find me?" You finally asked him while he grabbed your belongings for you.

"It was tough. You gave me quite the challenge." He snickered as he led you back to his car.

He didn't answer your question.

"Dad!" You yelled and got away from his grip.

"I don't need your protection!"

"I know what you and your friends are trying to do!" He yelled as he opened the passenger door.

"I'm not allowing you to get yourself killed from your foolish decisions, so get in the car."

He must know our plans—my plan. How?

"I can't do that." You said.

"Why not." He scolded.

"You know why." You said, and the tension between your throat and your words started to constrict you from saying any more.

"You know...exactly...why." Your eyes now began to dampen.

He stopped his movements and got lost in thought as his eyes didn't leave their focus on you. You were his child. Maybe not biologically, but he was the closest thing you had to a father. Therefore, no matter how hard you try to hide, he will always find you.

"Listen. I can help." He told you as he slowly got closer to you.

"How?" You muttered.

"I can explain everything if you, please come home." He begged.

The face of regret.

"Fine." You gave in.

He's right. He could help. You knew he had valuable information about Henry, Vecna, so you have no choice but to go with him.

As he drove back to your grandparent's house, through the windy and dark roads with only the yellow street lamps bringing light, he explained that he knows of the Upside Down. He told you about the old lab. There were files about Henry there. Those files contained valuable information about Henry's specific abilities and other scientists' notes on his performance. He had planned to return to the Upside Down to retrieve those files.

"I know you're going to kill him, y/n." He finally said as he put the car in park.

Your glance sliced to his face.

"But I need to tell you something first. From now on, I will be candid with you."

Your dad and many other scientists would help Dr. Brenner to scavenge for children that would do well with the experiment. Children who were reported to be "special." And you were one of them. He and your mother would later be assigned to you to teach you how to use your powers.

"So you stole me from my home?" You questioned and got defensive.

"No! Your birth parents put you in an institution for kids like you. They thought you needed help because of your capabilities. We taught you how to use them." He corrected you.

"The very powers that you suppressed!" You bounced back.

"We needed to hide you! Your parents neglected you in that institution."

How can I ever look at you the same? But you did save my life...

You couldn't believe what you were hearing. You wanted to leave, but you knew you had to deal with this for a bit longer.

"In the lab...would they have anything about me?" you asked him blankly.

He gripped the steering wheel.